Beginnings - How did you get started?

Play more than piano? Interested in a different instrument, including voice? Talk about it here.

Postby Mins Music » Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:58 pm

For 27 years I've been thinking they're the same thing! :p

So glad to have you on board Dr Bill! I don't think I would have bothered looking them up, and I would have gone for another 27 years thinking they're the same thing!

That's what you get for believing an 8 year old girl when you're only 5 instead of finding out for yourself!

So now I have to make a correction. I have an autoharp! But now I WANT a zither! :cool:
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Postby Mins Music » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:03 pm

"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Postby Mins Music » Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:00 pm

Scored myself an 'asian style' zither on Ebay! $35 Australian dollars - brand new. Haven't got it yet - it's in the mail!

They also have autoharps for sale, and interestingly enough, the call them 'autoharp/zither'.

Violinist, they have another zither on ebay for the same price (the buy now option) if you want one!
Mins Music

Postby Mins Music » Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:02 pm

EternalDragon wrote:My first instrument was keyboard which I started in year 5 and did for....2 years I think. Then I started piano in grade 8

Which one do you prefer playing eternal dragon, and why? ??? (I teach both)
Mins Music

Postby 73-1078374881 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:02 pm

Mins Music wrote:Scored myself an 'asian style' zither on Ebay! $35 Australian dollars - brand new. Haven't got it yet - it's in the mail!...
Violinist, they have another zither on ebay for the same price (the buy now option) if you want one!

Ooooo... Must check out...
73-1078374881

Postby 110-1079111554 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:38 pm

I first started on a home-organ, you know - the two keyboard & pedalboard type, and I played this between the ages of 13 and 19. Then I bought a piano, found a teacher and never looked back.
I picked up the violin at the age of 30, and the accordian at the age of 32! Now at the age of 35 I am reasonably competent on both instruments playing mostly folk styles/Irish music etc.
I now teach the piano, as well as taking further studies.
I ALSO OWN A ZITHER!
I also have a Sarangi. That should get you thinking!
110-1079111554

Postby Mins Music » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:50 pm

How many strings does your zither have nic? Mine is apparently 'asian' style and has 15. I found how to tune it on a web site about building your own. It suggested to use 15 strings so I'm only assuming that their tuning applies to mine.

I was a little baffled by their suggestion, basically, fourth string (and I can only guess they meant from the bottom) is a D and then its kind of a major scale.

What pitches are your strings tuned to?

Thanks nic! :)
Mins Music

Postby 81-1074658942 » Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:44 am

Okay, apparently my zither is some kind of mutant because it really doesn't sound like the things you're describing. It is a little harp like thing that can lay flat on the table, but there are no chord keys. There are chord strings [G C and F] on the left of the melody strings but you can't just press a key and 'zith' across. The range of the melody strings is from a middle C to a C'' [the one just above the treble staff]. It has sharp strings for C F and G, but no E or B flat. It's really a strange and tempermental little thing. But I just retune a string or three if I want to play in a different key.
81-1074658942

Postby 81-1074658942 » Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:48 am

Okay I read a little bit on the previous pages of the thread. My zither isn't mutated after all! :D

We should start a zither club.
81-1074658942

Postby 114-1078657089 » Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:09 am

I got an ocarina today! It's from Peru (bought it from an Oxfam community trade shop) and looks like a ceramic bug :) Anyway, does anybody know where I can get a fingering chart for .... *counts* an 8-hole ocarina? Or am I just going to have to drive my neighbours crazy figuring it out? It doesn't screech as much as a recorder, but it's louder than I thought it'd be :D
114-1078657089

Postby Mins Music » Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:53 pm

Hi rach 3! Private message me your email and I'll send you an ocarina fingering chart. It is REAL easy to play! :)
Mins Music

Postby Mins Music » Sun May 30, 2004 8:23 pm

I found a GREAT site for ocarina fans. Lots of fingering charts for all sorts of different ocarinas.

http://www.hindocarina.com/Fingering_Charts.htm

and

http://www.ask.co.uk/ix.asp?....&adurl=

Edited By Mins Music on 1085970387
Mins Music

Postby Tranquillo » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:57 pm

First, I was in the school choir in the alto area. (Its funny how that happened because I'm a soprano!) I was in the choir when I was 7 till 11 so four years. In between then when I was 8 I took piano lessons for two years and stopped for a little while. Then when I started highschool at 12 I got back into piano. I took lessons not long after that. When I was 14 I looked into guitar and played on it for a good 5 months.
15 I decided to take piano mega seriously so I looked for a private piano teacher myself(without the help for my parents). Now I am 16. I just began to take private voice lessons. Looking back at it piano and voice seem to be the two instruments that I have stuck with for some time. Its funny ... really voice is a new journey for me but in 'passive' ways I guess I was involved.

Edited By Becibu on 1200542315
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Previous

Return to Multi-instrument