Transferring 8 mm film to dvd - Some tips

A place for piano lovers to just talk on any subject

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:00 pm

I've been transferring old 8mm film from my own and my wife's family to DVD's. Unless you're willing to spend a lot of money on a special machine or you take your precious film to somebody else to do, transferring it is time consuming and a lot of work. Once transferred to a digital format and brought into a computer for editing with video software, you still have a problem. Silent 8mm film, even when well-transferred, edited and fixed (lighting corrected and colors restored to original, etc.), is still deadly dull to watch, unless you add a sound track. There are lots of places that will sell you sound and music to do that, but mostly what you need is background sound that fills the void and gives places in the film a degree of reality.

I'm writing to tell people about a few places where you can get free sound effects that are of good quality and sufficient length to be valuable in such an effort. Here are a few good ones that are free:

Freesound.org - great place for background and environmental sounds, all supplied by other users

Soundsnap - you can only download 5 sounds per month here unless you join, but it has lots of good stuff

Wavlist.com - if you want short sound clips from movies or TV, this is the place to get them, as well as many other sound effects

Reel Classics - A great place for short clips of theme music from classic movies.

I hope someone will find these as useful. Please not that I do not advocate use of any of these materials in violation of copyrights or trademarks. You are responsible for determining if your use is within the fair use clause of copyright law. :)

Edited By Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor on 1259172101
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Return to Intermission