Dear violinist - Please help with my violin

Play more than piano? Interested in a different instrument, including voice? Talk about it here.

Postby Mins Music » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:51 pm

I decided to create a new thread, because I might need your help A LOT! :D

I tried to apply the resin to my bow. Nothing happened. Is resin supposed to be sticky? Cause mine wasn't. In fact, when I tried to pick it out of it's case, it cracked! I have a feeling this shouldn't have happened. ???

So I might need to hop (okay, drive) down to the local music store.

Also, what do you teach your beginning students?
Thanks violinist!
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Postby Mins Music » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:01 pm

HAve you ever come across this book? Do you know if it's any good?

http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/011328/details.html
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Postby 73-1078374881 » Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:18 am

Hmmmm.... I am really mystified as to why your violin is squeakless. :O Perhaps your soundpost fell down? Do you hear anything rattling inside your violin if you shake it? (gently!) Rosin shouldn't be "sticky" unless you get it wet. Don't worry if it breaks; right now my current rosin is in like 12 pieces. :p At any rate, yeah, you should probably let someone at the music store check it out! Sorry I'm not more help! :(

I teach my students the Suzuki method. That is the best series ever!!!! Does anyone know if it's as good for piano as it is violin? I also teach the Mel Bay "Pieces You Love to Play" or something like that. We do hymns, and Christmas Carols, too... I also have them do LOTS of scales- I think those are the best things ever invented for violin!!! We do lots of different bowings and rhythms. I could write more on that later, if you're interested!

Do you live near any other violinists, Mins? If so, you should play duets!! My first teacher and I always had a blast playing Bartok duets. If you can count, you can play them! :;):

I've only done one Sevcik exercise in my life, but it must be a really good book because my teacher is forever asking, "Did we do Sevcik?" and I'll tell her no, and she'll say, "Well, you'll be doing it in college..."
73-1078374881

Postby Mins Music » Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:56 pm

Oh blow! I threw all my rosin out cause it was in so many pieces! There you go, good advice for anyone trying to teach themselves - gut instinct is not always right!
Anyway, I've ordered 4 different violin methods - including the Suzuki method! And yes, I'll have to take my violin to the store. Nothing rattles, bridge is still up, strings are all supported. Anyway, I might get it restrung depending on what the guy at the store says.
I'll let you know!
Mins Music

Postby 73-1078374881 » Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:14 pm

Yeah, let me know whathe finds out because I'm dying of curiousity to find out why the violin won't play!
73-1078374881

Postby Mins Music » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:18 pm

Hey Violinist! I have squeaks - and really really loud ones!
Your advice was spot on. I'm apparently I'm just VERY impatient. The guy at the store put TONS of rosin on the bow, we're talking HUGE amounts. So the only problem was, me :p Now that it's LOADED with rosin, (bought some new stuff), I can sound like a putty cat in a WHOLE heap of pain! And I'm very happy. :laugh:
Ordered some books over the net, they should get here in a couple of weeks, and then look out Violinist, there'll be lots of reallly silly questions.
Already, I was amazed at how LOUD those strings sound. My goodness! Do you ever get a headache listening to yourself? I'm not used to me ole ears being that close to the sound!
Mins Music

Postby 73-1078374881 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:07 pm

Yay for Mins!!!!! So glad you got the problem figured out!!! What books did you order? Bring on the questions- this makes me feel really smart! :laugh:
73-1078374881

Postby Mins Music » Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:59 am

Sevcik Violin Studies: The Little Sevcik
Suzuki Violin Method: Book 1
Eta Cohen Violin Method Book 1 Student's Book
A Tune A Day For Violin Book One

Are you familiar with any of these Violinist?
Mins Music

Postby 81-1074658942 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:47 am

YAY i'm happy to hear about the squeaks! I've been busy watching this drama unfold. One o my roommates at camp played the violin so I picked up a little bit of it when I was there. [I picked out movie themes from the Lord of the Rings lol] It is amazing how loud it is! I was learning viola as well for the little competition thing at the end, and I was getting horrible sounds at first. It wasn't because I wasn't steady, I just didn't want to make any noises that were that loud!
81-1074658942

Postby 73-1078374881 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:42 pm

I see you got an avatar, Mins! Beyooootiful!!!! I am familiar with all those books except the Eta Cohen... I've never actually played out of the Sevcik one before, but I do know what it is!!! That has to count for something! :O Are you going to take lessons from anyone or are you going to attempt a do-it-yourselfer? Yeah, sometimes after a while that noise in your ear gets annoying!!! But no side effects whatsoever... NOW WHAT WERE YOU SAYING? WHAT? YOU NEED TO SPEAK LOUDER! :cool:
73-1078374881

Postby 73-1078374881 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:44 pm

Quidam wrote:[I picked out movie themes from the Lord of the Rings lol]

If you ever get to play a violin again, Quid, try the Rohan Theme!!! :;):
73-1078374881

Postby Mins Music » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:58 pm

Not sure about a teacher yet. The only good violin teacher in my area left two years ago! :( I'm afraid I'm a little dubious of the others I have heard about. One student even rung me and asked if I would teach them. I said "I don't know HOW to play the violin!" She insisted it didn't matter, but I insisted it did. So, I'll see what I can learn from these books first. Already I'm having fun playing songs by 'ear'. It's a great feel to the instrument. I can see myself enjoying the violin even more than the clarinet and flute!
Mins Music

Postby 81-1074658942 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:22 pm

Yes, violinist, I did learn the rohan theme on the violin. and on the viola and cello. It was easy because it had about four notes and you only had to jump strings once :D

O my gosh! I can't believe that that student would actually take lessons from someone that doesn't know how to play! that's insane!
81-1074658942

Postby 73-1078374881 » Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:20 pm

Quidam wrote: O my gosh! I can't believe that that student would actually take lessons from someone that doesn't know how to play! that's insane!

Isn't it, though??? I've had lots of people ask me to teach them voice because I can sing halfway decently, but I tell them I've never been trained, so no can do. But they keep on insisting, which is pretty funny because even I don't know what I'm doing!! :laugh: How do they expect me to teach them stuff when I don't even know what's going on when someone sings? Ooooo... I may start a Dear Singer thing for Mins because I have lots of questions about singing!
73-1078374881

Postby 73-1078374881 » Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:29 pm

Oh hey, Mins, have you gotten any pointers on how to correctly hold the violin and bow, etc.? That is the #1 thing beginners (and beyond- it took me like seven years to get it right!!!) have problems with. Suzuki has some pretty good pictures in the front of the book... This is precisely why scales are sooooo wonderful for the violin because it gives you the opportunity to look at your technique and think about EVERY move you make, the sound you're getting, and whether your bow hold is good or not!
73-1078374881

Next

Return to Multi-instrument