Memorizing: advantages when performing - Advantages of performing from memory

Discuss the joys and pratfalls of performance

Postby Tranquillo » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:47 pm

Dr. Bill Leland wrote: It would be impossible to accompany a singer, for instance, without having the vocal line and words in front of you; the same is true in a piano/string trio or quartet.

Bill L.

Really? The guy who accompanies me for voice ... He often memorises his pieces. The sole reason for this is because he knows that I will not turn his pages when I perform with him. He could have a page turner but ... he can be forgetful at times that he forgets his sheet music ... hence the reason why he memorieses songs ... at least they stay in his brain.

We work together and practice A LOT! He can remember things so easily! All his repetoire is played by memory. So ... I guess thats why he doesnt need the music infront of him.
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby 112-1182392787 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:21 pm

I guess, Becibu, that he has the vocal line in front of him, but in his head. I've only been at the other end of it, doing a violin solo for example as a very inexperienced beginner. I had a longer piece once and forgot my fingering twice. The accompanist had to make a split second decision whether to keep on playing or backtrack for me. We did some kind of signalling between us, I simply found my way back into the music as she continued playing. But supposing for example that I had skipped a couple of bars so that we were out of synch. She would have to be sufficiently familiar with how our two parts mesh to be able to jump to where I was. The accompanist supports the soloist and the soloist leads.
112-1182392787

Postby pianogal » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:16 pm

I love memorizing songs....actually, I can't help it...whenever I learn a song, after about 2-5 tries, I memorize it automatically, like a machine.
Without looking at the sheetmusic/ knowing the whole song in your mind help you play it musically. Everyone would enjoy your playing.
I don't know, it just gives you the relaxed feeling--as if you are listening to a song that goes exactly how you wanted.

It's just the memory slips that are annoying.
Don't ever give up piano, because you will like it someday
pianogal

Postby Tranquillo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:52 am

I watched a performance yesterday at a conservatorium and a guy that is a Jazz performer, pianist and music educator.
Pretty much a dean in the Jazz department ... well I know he is the head of something.
Anyways as I watched him play he memerised the first piece. Then afterwards the next pieces onwards he had his sheets on him. Only, they were scattered around the stand. Even though he had his sheets infront of him its not like he relied on them. Infact the sheets did not deter his skills in performing. It seems even though memorising has its advantages ... in his performance it looked as though even though he didnt memorise the other pieces he still did play with great profieciency and flair. It didnt matter that he had the sheets he still could play with great skill!
Just a thought that past me.
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Previous

Return to Performing