Favourite pianists? - Who are your favourite pianists?

All topics musical, not specifically piano-related

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:36 am

I have a wonderful video called "Richter the Enigma". 154 minutes of his entire life, with many excerpts of him playing (unfortunately mostly short segments) in concert--solo, with orchestra, with fellow artists like Oistrakh, Rostropovich, etc., plus an extensive conversation with him in old age. Don't know if it's available on DVD or not. You can get it at www.filmnight.com.

Dr. B.
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:54 am

Although I have heard many of the world's greatest pianists live and met a significant number of them personally, one of the few disappointments of my life is that I never got to hear Richter play live. It always seemed that I was in a different part of the country and covered up with commitments when he played in the U.S. Of course, since most of his recordings are "live" we can still get the flavor of the live performance from them.

There is a "complete" compilation of all his recorded works available in a set of about 20 CD's. It runs about $160, so I've never broken down and bought it, especially since I already have about a third of the recordings on separate disks. There is also a noteworthy recording, for sheer star power, on EMI of the Beethoven Triple Concerto with Oistrakh, Rostropovich and Richter as soloists and Von Karajan conducting the Berlin Philharmonic. Highly recommended!

Edited By Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor on 1128704876
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby Beckywy » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:53 pm

ahhhh the Berlin Philharmonic. One of the best orchestras I've ever heard.
"The real purpose of studying music-to unite ourselves with our special gifts in such a way that one would add strength to the other" Seymour Bernstein
Beckywy

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:20 pm

Beckywy wrote:I asked my old teacher about Richter - if he knew him since he also studied at the Moscow conservatory. This is what he emailed me.

I really enjoyed this story. Thanks for sharing it with us. :cool:
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby 97-1128742375 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:20 pm

Hi! :D
I really like classical pianists like Idil Biret and Krystain Zimerman! My favorite composer is Chopin.
I also have an original recording of Rachmaninov plays Rachmaninov. Great CD!
97-1128742375

Postby Beckywy » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:55 am

Idil Biret - she made her american debut on the day of JFK's assassination - no?

Edited By Beckywy on 1129064152
"The real purpose of studying music-to unite ourselves with our special gifts in such a way that one would add strength to the other" Seymour Bernstein
Beckywy

Postby 97-1128742375 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:09 pm

I have no idea...she plays well though! :D
97-1128742375

Postby Beckywy » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:48 am

It was Dave Brubeck's birthday a few days ago. 85years.

Edited By Beckywy on 1134229795
Beckywy

Postby Stretto » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:06 pm

Here is another question for a book I could use entitled "Famous Pianists for Dummies" (what I mean is excuse the nievity of my question). I am a little embarrassed to ask but here is something I've been curious about:

What is the difference between a concert pianist and a professional pianist or is there a difference?
Stretto

Postby Beckywy » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:52 am

Professional pianist are people like you and me who make a living with the piano. Ie. playing and teaching.
Beckywy

Postby Stretto » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:10 am

Wow! I never thought of myself as a professional pianist. That made my day!
Stretto

Previous

Return to Music Talk