Favourite composer - Who do you enjoy playing?

Technique, methods and advice for learners

Favourite composer - Who do you enjoy playing?

Beethoven
21%
Chopin
29%
Mozart
14%
J.S. Bach
21%
Schubert
No votes
Debussy
4%
Rachmaninoff
7%
Schumann
4%
Brahms
No votes
Liszt
No votes

Total votes : 28

Postby Mins Music » Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:48 pm

No doubt there are many composers whose work you love and admire. If you had to narrow it down to just ONE composer who you really love playing (which you do for this poll :;): which one would it be?

If your absolute favourite is not on offer, add your reply below. The name will do.
:)
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:32 pm

Boy, that's a tough one! On a given day I could list any of the choices you gave us. On the whole, though, for just pure piano listening enjoyment with solo piano, I guess I pick Chopin. Visitors to PEP know that I often use Chopin in Listening Focus and ALWAYS use Chopin Nocturnes there to celebrate the Holidays. Of course, other times I like Brahms, Rachmaninoff, Beethoven ... :D
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby 65-1074818729 » Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:27 pm

I like Carl Czerny's work. In particular, I like his use of Alberti base which gives a nice easy listening flavor to many of his pieces.
65-1074818729

Postby 84-1077939951 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:49 am

I hate to be a spoiled sport; but if you're really playing a wonderful piece of music with all your heart, comparisons don't exist.

That said, I have to admit I go through phases where I concentrate on one composer for weeks at a time. Sometimes I'll go months without touching anything by Brahms, for example, and then I'll go on a binge--playing practically everything by him.

But, there are certain volumes of music that never leave the top of my piano. Among those would be the Beethoven sonatas; the Mozart sonatas; Bach's W.T.C. bk. #1; and Chopin's Preludes and Nocturnes.
84-1077939951

Postby 81-1074658942 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:14 pm

I didn't vote. I think if I tried I would probably be trembling with indecision by the time i clicked one of the choices.
THAT"S SUCH A HARD QUESTION! .... I have no clue really.

I love Rachmaninov, I'm currently working on Beethoven and Chopin, and Debussy and Gershwin are pretty high up there, and I LOVE Bach! I haven't actually played any Brahms, Lizst or Schubert yet. Don't really know why. Maybe because I don't have any of that music at this juncture, and maybe also because a year ago I would have given myself carpal tunnel just looking at their work. One can never tell. I also have a real soft spot for Khatchaturian and Scarlatti. he he... really alike, those two :p :D I guess I just like everything!
81-1074658942

Postby Mins Music » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:15 am

Come on people! Think harder! Of course you love many! Me too. I had to think really hard and try and remember when I felt the absolute best playing. I realised, that although I LOVE so many different composers, one did stand out. I had to think hard.

So, I challenge you again, pick one. Doesn't mean you don't love the others.

By the way, key word : playing. I love listening to particular composers, but enjoy playing different ones (sometimes)

I know it's an impossible choice. I just wanted something to challenge us. Thought this might do it.

So if you like challenges, please play!
:)
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Postby Mins Music » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:18 am

Oh, and the one I voted for is not my favourite composer. He was just the one I realised I did actually enjoy playing more. It came as quite a surprise.

Beethoven is probably (if I had to pick one) my favourtie composer, but I voted for Chopin to play. Hard decision, but an interesting realisation.
Mins Music

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:24 pm

My favorite composer of all is Chobeedebzartrahmsinoff.

Dr. Bill.
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby Mins Music » Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:00 pm

ooh ooh, a NEW puzzle.

Chopin, Beethoven, Debussy, Mozart, Brahms, Rachmanninoff.

How'd I do?
Mins Music

Postby Mins Music » Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:20 pm

mmmm ... this one's harder. I can think of Ravel ... maybe Schoenberg is in there ... got to take another look.
Anyone else work it out?
Mins Music

Postby Mins Music » Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:29 pm

Oh. Is the second one Haydn ... no it's dyn, unless I don't know how to spell his name ... last one Prokevieff, or is that Prokefiev ... we have dyn ... crum ... ieff. Mmmmm ...
Get back to that one. YOU'VE STUMPED ME. I think I'll have to think outside the square ....
Mins Music

Postby 81-1074658942 » Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:14 pm

Here's my guess. I couldn't really figure out the 'dyn' though. I even cheated! I got out my music catalog and everything!

Ravel, 'Haydn', Schoenberg, Crumb, Prokofieff...

I know Mins Music already said that, just say I'm seconding the motion.

I finally voted. Weirdly enough, I settled on JS Bach. I'm probably better at playing Chopin than I am at playing Bach, but I have more fun playing the latter. And I could listen to it just about 24/7. Maybe I'm just not having as much fun with my Chopin right now because it's hard, and the notes dont' happen yet.... *ponders*

You know... Being a young and curious individual, I'll probably have a new 'favorite' composer in about a month or two. lol. it seems to be the usual pattern anyway.
81-1074658942

Postby Mins Music » Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:53 am

"my recent "composite composer" choice included Alban Berg and George Crumb-"

Well done Quidam - at least you got one right! If you'd given me a hundred years, I still woudn't have worked it out. :D
Mins Music

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:58 am

Quidam/Super sleuth: I blew it with the 'dyn'. Yes, I meant Haydn, but didn't think while typing--just like the kind of practicing I bawl people out for!

Dr. Goofbill.
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby 81-1074658942 » Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:58 pm

hmmmm Berg... I haven't heard of him before. I guess I'll have to fire up the old google and see what I can find. :)

I used to type really well, and now I basically never capitalize or punctuate anything right. Just out of laziness. I'll have to get myself out of the habit though. I got points taken off of my last paper because I didn't capitalize. blah... stupidness. :p
81-1074658942

Next

Return to Learning Piano