Looking for new piano teaching method

Discuss the pros and cons of various "methods" with other teachers

Postby 100-1091480939 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:14 pm

I am interested in trying out a new method for beginners in Fall and have been doing a little research. Has anyone had experience using Robert Pace's methods of teaching? What are your thoughts about it?

Also, are there any other methods I should look into and where are good sources of information? (I have checked out the reviews on this site and found them helpful.) I am specifically looking for methods that work in a group setting for young children ages 3 - 7.

I have previously used mainly Piano Adventures by Faber and while I thoroughly enjoy the songs, I found that the position playing created problems down the road with note recognition.

Darcie
100-1091480939

Postby 65-1074818729 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:52 pm

deebee,

Yamaha Canada has some information on this subject. You may already be aware of it. I have hyperlinked it for your info.

Yamaha Canada

P.S. Welcome to the board

:D
65-1074818729

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:33 pm

Thanks AFlat for your response to deebee. Deebee, you should know a couple of things. First, we have reviewed the Pace materials on PEP. Just go to our Piano Methods Reviews page and follow the links to the Pace method. Second, Dr. Pace will be our next Artist/Educator Interviewee. His interview should be up within about a week. You'll be able to find his (and other) interview at our Artist/Educator Interview page then. :D
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby pianoannie » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:12 pm

Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor wrote:Thanks AFlat for your response to deebee. Deebee, you should know a couple of things. First, we have reviewed the Pace materials on PEP. Just go to our Piano Methods Reviews page and follow the links to the Pace method. Second, Dr. Pace will be our next Artist/Educator Interviewee. His interview should be up within about a week. You'll be able to find his (and other) interview at our Artist/Educator Interview page then. :D

Dr. Ziegler,
Do you anticipate ever posting a review of the "Artistry at the Piano" series. I would love to know more about it. Has anyone here used it?
pianoannie

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:05 am

pianoannie wrote:Dr. Ziegler,
Do you anticipate ever posting a review of the "Artistry at the Piano" series.

Hi pianoannie,

Good to see you back again.

Your question is hard to answer definitively. Methods reviews are an ongoing project, but we have trouble finding qualified people to do the reviews, especially in light of the problems we had with a certain foreign corporation who threatened our server operator (not us) with a lawsuit over a review we did of the cprporation's software. We got through that without any problems other than a lot of work for me associated with having to move the site and deal with the blatantly false charges made by that company. We would like to get back to doing methods reviews, if we can find the people to do them and get the materials. I paid out of my own pocket for the materials we reviewed previously. That got expensive. I'm not aware that any of the core staff has much exposure to the Artistry at the Piano series. If I find out differently, I'll let you know. :)
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Site Admin

Postby pianoannie » Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:17 pm

Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor wrote:
pianoannie wrote:Dr. Ziegler,
Do you anticipate ever posting a review of the "Artistry at the Piano" series.

We would like to get back to doing methods reviews, if we can find the people to do them and get the materials. I paid out of my own pocket for the materials we reviewed previously. That got expensive. :)

Oh, I guess it would get expensive! I'm surprised that the publishers didn't give you complimentary copies for review. It would be pretty inexpensive advertising. Was it a matter of the publishers not being willing to do so, or just that no one at PEP thought to ask?
I think it would be very interesting to do reviews of materials. Consider me a willing volunteer!
pianoannie

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:50 pm

pianoannie wrote:I'm surprised that the publishers didn't give you complimentary copies for review. It would be pretty inexpensive advertising. Was it a matter of the publishers not being willing to do so, or just that no one at PEP thought to ask?
I think it would be very interesting to do reviews of materials. Consider me a willing volunteer!

I did contact most of the publishers. They simply referred me to the local distributors. The local folks weren't willing to supply complimentary copies for review, even on a loan basis. This was an interesting result, given that we've never had any problems getting complimentary copies of software and other learning materials for review. The whole experience made me wonder if the publishers and their distributors really didn't want unbiased comparative reviews of their method materials out there. Of course, I didn't contact ALL the publishers, so there may have been some who might have been willing to supply review copies that I didn't contact because I had given up on it by that time.

I'll contact you about doing some reviews of methods. I'd like to talk about which ones to do and then give it a try getting complimentary copies for review again. Thanks much for your offer of help. :)
Site Admin

Postby Mins Music » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:06 pm

Hi pianoannie!

This site gives you a brief overview of the 18 books in the series. Sorry I can't help more, but I'm not at all familiar with them. It sure does look interesting though, and I hope you go ahead with the review on this series for PEP!

Artistry at the Piano
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Postby pianoannie » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:34 am

Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor wrote:I'll contact you about doing some reviews of methods. I'd like to talk about which ones to do and then give it a try getting complimentary copies for review again. Thanks much for your offer of help. :)

Sounds good. Keep me posted. Hopefully some publishers will be more cooperative this time around.
pianoannie

Return to Piano Methods Forum