I'm back...and my audition will be, too!

Discuss the joys and pratfalls of performance

Postby presto » Tue May 23, 2006 10:10 am

If the title of this topic is rather confusing, let me explain that first of all, it's been ages since the last time I posted about my upcoming audition for college, and this is referring to that. (My long absence was in part because I've been working very hard in my academic studies.) Some of you will remember that I was waiting to hear the results of the audition. Well, my title is meant to say that no, I didn't pass--that is, I got a passing mark, to say that I was not a complete failure by any means, but didn't actually get passed by the judges.

Before you break out into exclamations of sympathy :;):, let me also add that this is actually a good thing to happen to me. I talked to the Chair of Admissions of the Music Department about what I could do for next time, and I basically got the message that I needed to practice some more, and then come back. So that means that maybe I won't be in music for the first semester of college, but if all goes well and I pass the next audition, I'll be "back in business!" In any case, I intend to get in no matter what it takes--I mean, I'm prepared to practice, do whatever I have to do, to do the music program. I could play pretty well, but something was missing, seemed to be what the judges thought. Why is this delay a good thing? Well, imagine going into a program without being adequately prepared for it. That almost surely means trouble ahead! Now I have time to improve my playing and also brush up on my theory, which I felt like I needed. It all adds up to benefits for me in the end.

I didn't feel that the judges were unfair or unkind--actually, I think they were very nice and pretty accurate--except that I really wish I had spoken up once or twice during the audition to point out certain things like the fact that the piece they gave me to sight-read was really quite easy for me (a simple piece in 3/4 time and with only one sharp) and I could have read something quite a bit harder than that. But anyhow, I'm glad now that I have that experience behind me; it's going to be a great help, I know, for next time. I also seem to have the goodwill of both the Chair and one of the judges, who is one of the teachers there (I've met them both personally, and it seems they both liked me :) ). I've got support from God, friends, and family--talk about the encouragement they've all given me!--and so I'm ready to keep moving forward until I get to what I think of as my Promised Land. :;):

One thing that I truly need knowledgeable advice for (and that I will also be posting in a separate topic in another division of the forum for greater exposure) is what etude to choose for my next audition, which I believe will be in January, or around then. It must be something at the level of at least Royal Conservatory of Music grade 6 or 7, but not be too difficult to learn so I can know it well by audition time. Anything from standard repertoire is acceptable. I would be very grateful for any help you can give. I know there must be a few etude experts around here, so please do throw in your two cents. Thanks!

Edited By presto on 1148577620
88 keys--
10 fingers--
No problem!
presto

Postby 108-1121887355 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:30 pm

Would like to help but not an "Etude expert" As this post is old, try asking just that question again. Dr. Leland will probably reply. Or send him a PM (personal message)

Joan
108-1121887355

Postby Stretto » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:58 pm

I think there are some answers under the Learning Piano forum under a topic called, "Etude experts . . . " if anyone else is looking for help on the topic. I just remember reading something about Etudes somewhere :D and I think that's where.
Stretto

Return to Performing