It's that time of year... - Performance time!

Discuss the joys and pratfalls of performance

Postby 76-1144948098 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:07 pm

So what's coming up for everyone? What are they performing and how? Exams? Recitals? Auditions? Tell!

I personally have a senior student mini-recital coming up and a flute recital and a drop-in recital and my piano recital. Not doing my Gr. 8 exam untill winter.
Lina
76-1144948098

Postby Stretto » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:56 pm

Wow, that sounds like a lot! I wish I had something to report in the performance realm but not that much!

I just had my students give a Spring recital a few weeks ago that went well. I probably will have them at my house for a group get-together (students-only) in June. I try to do it about every 2-3 months. I just started it last fall and held it 2 or 3 times so far, I forgot already! It's been really neat how they interact with each other even from the very first time when they didn't know each other. For example, two students who had never met before sat down at the piano together and started jamming out a duet of Heart and
Soul and showing each other ideas on the piano. That is worth it all!

It is worth the effort planning them because the students are practicing a lot more knowing they will be playing for peers and they actually are all getting a repertoire built up now of music they can just play off the cuff when asked. It also is more informal so it's not the pressure like a looming recital.

I've kind of been tossing around the idea of sometime putting on a solo recital, something I've never done before but I will have my work cut out if I were to do this. It would probably take a year from now at least or more until I was ready! :D

Lina, what is a drop-in recital? And I would be interested to hear a list of what you are playing for all these performances you're in. I really love to hear what others are doing and performing!

Edited By Stretto on 1146099765
Stretto

Postby Beckywy » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:50 pm

my adult students have a recital this saturday, the senior students and myself have the benefit next month, and the rest have the end year recital in june - on top of that, a third of them have exams coming up.
"The real purpose of studying music-to unite ourselves with our special gifts in such a way that one would add strength to the other" Seymour Bernstein
Beckywy

Postby 76-1144948098 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:43 pm

Lina, what is a drop-in recital? And I would be interested to hear a list of what you are playing for all these performances you're in. I really love to hear what others are doing and performing!

It's a recital put on the the music teachers in the area I believe, and anyone can come, you don't have to sign up, hence the name 'drop-in'. So anyone can come, anyone can play. I accidentally missed the last one (I was sooo mad!) but I'm not missing the next one! :D
76-1144948098

Postby Stretto » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:43 pm

Lina wrote:

It's a recital put on the the music teachers in the area I believe, and anyone can come, you don't have to sign up, hence the name 'drop-in'. So anyone can come, anyone can play. I accidentally missed the last one (I was sooo mad!) but I'm not missing the next one! :D

That sounds like it would be fun and interesting to listen to.
Stretto

Postby 108-1121887355 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:30 am

I do not perform, except with my students in duets. We have some really fun pieces like "Do Re Mi" "March Miltaire" and "American the Beautiful" (for 2, 3 or 4) and many others. It takes me some practice to get up to speed.

I try to have group get togethers with my students throughout the year - this year, with time problems, I have done some groups of two and four, that have had positive results. The two 8 yo girls did a lot of learning together and the four boys, ages 5-9 did really well too. It is really hard to get everyone together - even half of my twleve. Plan some more next month and then a Musicale in the 2nd week of June. I don't like to go too late as they get restless and ready for summer vacation.

Playing for each other and learning together is invaluable.

Joan
108-1121887355

Postby minorkey » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:37 pm

I am trying to polish Mozart's Piano Concerto #21 in C major for a recital. For some reason, despite having worked on it (along with other pieces) for several months, I am having trouble "nailing" it to my satisfaction. It seems like it shouldn't be that difficult, given the simple, straightforward melody and relatively slow tempo. I'm fine with the differing rhythms in right vs left hand throughout, and almost have everything down pat, but it's been frustrating putting it all together. I think part of the problem is the large leaps required of the left hand; plus, my piano is way off in terms of needing action regulation and I'm struggling to get the dynamics right.
Maybe I just need more time and intense practice (plus a piano technician!).
minorkey

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:24 pm

Minorkey, I think getting the piano thoroughly regulated, voiced and tuned would give your practicing an enormous boost. You're trying to learn how to play tennis with a loose, soggy racket and bowling balls. It's truly worth the expense, and, if done right by a technician who knows what he's doing, the regulation should last for years.

Besides, you'll find that it'll take less time to get the touches and dynamics mastered, and your ear will also come more alive--so will your morale and desire to practice!

Dr. Bill L.
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby 76-1144948098 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:40 pm

Well, I just got back form one of my master classes, and The other guy who also went to my teacher and I were the only ppl who had memorized it! Anyway, I did ok (the adjudicator told me basically the same things my teacher had already told me :p ) but I blanked (like COMPLETELY forgot the notes in one bar. I'd never blanked there before about 3 days ago...grrr. Oh well, the adjudicator just let me see the music for that bar and I was fine. I guess I did alright. Not quite as well as I hoped, but hey, life is full of mistakes and I'm quite sure no one judged me for it. The adjudicator said good things about it too. :;):
76-1144948098

Postby 108-1121887355 » Tue May 02, 2006 12:54 pm

Sounds as though you did very well. Congrats!

An anchor point might help with the blank.

:)
108-1121887355

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Thu May 11, 2006 4:45 pm

Here we are in May, and a lot of you are having student recitals. Let's hear about some of the experiences--good, bad, traumatic, triumphant or whatever!
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby 108-1121887355 » Thu May 11, 2006 7:17 pm

I will let you know if I can ever get a date where everyone one can come! My older students are set for the evening of June 9th but the nine younger ones are not! There are baseball and soccer practices and games and as I have five boys ages 6 to 9 they are not willling to give any of it up! Two families have two boys each and are running to two places in one day -one has a game at 3:30 rght after school and the older one has one at 5. I haven't given up yet, but! I like to have the younger ones play in the afternoon, as less formal and less tired. There are Sat. games too! I am still wroking on it.

I hope my older girls will play their other instrumnts as well - french horn and flute. One is balking right now.

Joan
108-1121887355

Postby Stretto » Thu May 11, 2006 10:39 pm

Dr. Bill Leland wrote:Here we are in May, and a lot of you are having student recitals. Let's hear about some of the experiences--good, bad, traumatic, triumphant or whatever!

When are finals over in most schools? I would assume many would be right in the middle of the nitty gritty of it all right now?

Although you were probably thinking about college student recitals or possibly high school students as well, as far as recitals piano teachers give, I've found May is not a good month for most parents and students because of end of the school year tests and exams and a lot of end of the year school events (not to mention Mother's Day and Memorial Day tying up two weekends in that month.) April seems to be a good month to me because the bulk of the cold/flu season is past but there's not typically a lot of other things going on then. I think a post about the recital I had for my students in April is floating around the forums somewhere.

I think you might have had college students' recitals in mind however with your question? Good luck to all you students out there!
Stretto

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Fri May 12, 2006 8:10 pm

Actually, I was thinking both of student recitals of private teachers, and also those of you who perform yourselves.
NMSU's exam week just finished today, and you make a good point about the crowding in of high school and college exams in May. I guess April is good because if you wait until after the public schools and colleges are done, everybody is heading off somewhere for a break.

B.L.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby Beckywy » Sat May 13, 2006 11:16 pm

Well, we had our benefit concert today for sick kids hospital. It was absolutely fantastic. Everyone was in formal wear - girls in long dresses and the boys in dark suits. We hired a professional MC who kept the show going and covered so the stage crew could set up for the ensembles.

One student forgot her piece half way through, and I was listening backstage...and I heard the music and my thought was "oh, she's playing her own composition"...she made it up and kept on going until she got her fingers near the chord she needed to finish the piece. No one noticed. She was playing the Swan by Saint-Saen...but she never missed a beat and was able to play in key.

I did a jazz trio and we only had 1 rehearsal - it was absolutely fantastic. I couldn't keep count with one piece so I made the guys rehearse with me backstage - without instruments - so we sang our parts. It all came together on stage and we ended up throwing everything we did at rehearsal out the window and it was fantastic.
"The real purpose of studying music-to unite ourselves with our special gifts in such a way that one would add strength to the other" Seymour Bernstein
Beckywy

Next

Return to Performing