Preventing performance nerves - Anyone have some advice?

Discuss the joys and pratfalls of performance

Postby Tranquillo » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:48 pm

Its funny though I never get nevous infront of people. (I know, I'm not human) I really look forward to it I love the atmoshpere, the last performance I gave (4 weeks ago) I loved every second.

*but* the next week I was to do that song again for a major school music exam and I was SOOO nervous I was shaking through the whole thing. A hall of 400 people is such a lovely atmosphere compared to a room of three people. Its a real strange thing.

I find the one thing that does relieve nerves is running around and jumping up and down and playing clap games and singing silly jingles. Half the time in an exam situation (when others are taking exams) I cant do that but I have tried it once when I felt REAL good!

Anyways Tell me what your thoughts are
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby Stretto » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:25 pm

You reminded me once that for college semester juries, I listened to one of my favorite songs on headphones with lyrics that really inspire me while waiting for my turn and it really helped a lot.

I like your idea of running around being goofy or silly. I've thought about the next time I perform imagining the audience is dancing like chickens to my playing or something like that and see how that works for easing performance nerves - now just an audience to test it out on. (How about imagining at next exam or situation with judging that they are dancing around to your piece like chickens!)

Edited By Stretto on 1189128524
Stretto

Postby pianogal » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:43 pm

Gosh, I get nervous so suddenly.........
while sitting there before it's my turn on stage, I'm ok. Then suddenly, my nerves would jump out and be with me throughout the performance, making me hit wrong notes, hands, feet shake, forgeting the song........ and what's funny, everytime AFTER I perform, I get excited and want to go back to the stage.

I also agree with the jumping, juggling...before the performace would prevent being nervous, because the main cause of in my mind, the more I think about it, the more I get nervous. So, being a little crazy right before performing would help.........great idea! I'll definately try it this Oct. in the Restroom.........haha.
Another way to prevent it is to be confident in the songs you are playing. It's like an english vocab test, if I did study for it very well, and can easily come up with the meaning of the word, then I won't worry about the test anymore, I will look forward to it. So practice hard, no mistake is allowed.

That's what I'm doing right now. Hard, very hard. But I will see the result!!!
Don't ever give up piano, because you will like it someday
pianogal

Postby Tranquillo » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:36 am

Actually I might try that imagine the judges dancing like chickens ... Thanks Stretto!
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby Tranquillo » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:13 am

A performance I gave months ago ... was something that I spontaneously had to do in 4 hours ... Talk about INSANE! The girl that was supposed to do it got sick ... so I was her fill in . For the whole four hours I was going insane, I was bananas ... one second I was giggling like crazy the next I was telling others to "kill me"then I screamed at fortissimo saying that I cant do this ... followed my crazy talk "I cant stand the way I walk and the way I talk" I felt sorry for all the other musicians that have had to put up with me!

Hahaha :laugh: this post is about preventing performance nerves ... I fed the idea of having performance nerves! ???

Well I'll get to the point ... I've tried several things ... one thing that I often do is talk myself into not being allowed to be nervous because that will stuff my performance up ... that works ... amazingly ... another thing I would do is talk to another person performing at the same venue ... sometimes we would sing of hum together ... I would also do deep breathing excercises and they work when you do it PROPERLY ... I have also assured others that they will do fine taking that performance nerves away from me and being nervous for them.

They are just a few things that I thought of and tested ... and they work! :D

Edited By Becibu on 1212826325
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Previous

Return to Performing