2pieces
40%
3pieces
30%
more than 3
No votes

Total votes : 10

Postby Mins Music » Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:18 pm

How many pieces should each student be allowed to play at a studio recital? ???
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Postby 81-1074658942 » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:49 pm

Kind of an interesting question. I would say just one piece for the most part, but it depends on the situation to a degree. It seems like most studios have enough students that letting everyone play two or more pieces would make the recital last a bit too long. Especially since most studios have a number of very young students enrolled. They don't seem to like sitting for very long.
In my studio [I'm a student by the way] we have piano parties every eight weeks, and it seems like one piece is plenty for everyone. I think a lot of the students are nervous enough as is without having to worry about two pieces. LOl..... o the joys of jitters.
But if it's a smaller group of students, or it's an end of the year recital where friends and family attend... things might be a bit different.
81-1074658942

Postby Mins Music » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:53 pm

Quidam, tell us more about your piano parties. It sounds interesting.
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Postby 81-1074658942 » Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:39 pm

Well, the reason why we have piano parties is because my teacher divides the year into blocks. in the first block we study baroque, the second we study classical and so on. It's a great way to do things. I've really fallen in love with baroque music this year when I probably wouldn't have studied it at all otherwise.
At the end of each block, she has a piano party at the studio. It's for students only, because it's not meant to be too nerve-wracking or formal. The first thing she usually does is talk a little bit about the period we're studying and what all else was happening in the world at that time. At the classical piano party she showed a clip from a movie [the scarlet pimpernel] that showed a little snip or court life and the dances of the time. Anyway, she usually keeps that bit pretty simple because she has a lot of very young students.
Then we have a game of some sort. :) great fun! After all of this, each student plays a piece. And we do have to tell what we're playing and bow afterward and everything. he he. good old recital etiquette of course.
The party is usually scheduled to last for an hour although we basically never finish on time. [hmmmm sounds a little like my lesson (;]
It's a really nice activity, because it is a performance to work towards, but it's a little bit more low-key [no pun intended]. And you get to hear what everyone else is doing and things like that.
It's a great idea really!
81-1074658942

Postby Mins Music » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:45 pm

Wow Quidam, it sounds like you've got a fantastic teacher. I think the teaching in blocks is wonderful (I might incorporate that idea with my group theory lessons), and the piano parties sound good too. Thanks for sharing. You can tell your teacher she has inspired me. :)
Mins Music

Postby Mins Music » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:48 pm

Maybe you could invite your teacher to this site to give some pointers! It would be great for the interchange of encouragement.
Mins Music

Postby Mins Music » Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:48 pm

Hey Quidam, had my own 'piano party' the other day. I made it a little more nerve racking though. The students didn't know WHAT they had to play or WHEN they would have to play. I put their name and a piece they had been working on in lessons into a basket, and they took turns announcing the next player. I also put my name in the basket. I said that it was okay to stand behind the player and watch their fingers - so of course nearly everyone did that to me!
It went really well and a few students said we should do this more often!
(Afterwards we all ate the food everyone bought - that went down treat too!)
Mins Music

Postby 81-1074658942 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:33 pm

Hey brilliantness! Glad to know it went well!

My teacher is considering offering monthly master classes for her advanced students. Students will perform, she will be teaching of course, and they will recieve feedback from the other students. Always a good thing. Helps with performing and sounds really really fun!
81-1074658942

Postby Tranquillo » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:58 pm

My teacher organises small recitals / concerts before exams. We play our pieces to each other. Its not much of a set up. just a few peopel liek 5 come and listen.
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby pianogal » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:01 pm

I just had 2 recitals yesterday : one's @ the library, the other's my teacher's @ church.

My teacher holds recital 3 times a year. All his students (about 40-50 of them) are recommanded to come. We make our own 60 mins CDs too, pretty fun.

I think the more chance of performing in front of people, the more comfortable you get. (although, I still get nervous on stage, some day, I will get over it....yes someday.....hopefully) :D
Don't ever give up piano, because you will like it someday
pianogal

Postby Tranquillo » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:38 am

This is interesting, the teachers I have been through (6) don't have student recitals, instead students take part in rectials elsewhere in competitions, schools, eisteedfods, etc. I am aware that teachers hold student recitals I am just curious to know how common they are.
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby pianorules » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:35 pm

These piano parties seem like great fun. I only get about once or twice a year to perform though i have had several piano teachers in the long run.

Despite this my teacher is having summer seminars- history lessons.

I wish my teachers did that.
I guess the more performing u do the less nervous u become...........
Olivia Nicole Davis
pianorules

Postby pianorules » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:38 pm

I also that 3 pieces should be the minimum to play at a recital
Olivia Nicole Davis
pianorules

Return to Performing