Best and worst - Performance experiences

Discuss the joys and pratfalls of performance

Postby Stretto » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:02 am

My worst was when I was somewhere between ages 12 - 14 at probably my second recital ever. I was a procrastinator (still am some but not anywhere near like I was in school!). I typically wouldn't practice piano much until the day or two before lessons and then practice like gangbusters. That time with a recital piece, I procrastinated memorizing it and spent two days before the recital practicing like mad to memorize the piece. At the recital I flubbed up terribly. I had a memory slip and that was the end of that. I ended up just having to get up and walk off not being able to remember or get back into the piece anywhere. The neat part though was my parents never said a word to me about it - no lectures or anything so they let me learn the lesson myself.

Needless to say, I never procrastinated learning a piece for a recital again. But I learned a lot from that experience.

The best performance was when I really focused on playing to the audience and making moving the audience emotionally with the piece my aim. I played the best with the least mistakes and least nerves I've every played. I feel it's because I took the focus off of "me" and rather than worry about if everyone was judging "me". I think if playing to the audience, then it becomes a non-issue so much making a mistake or even messing up bad as the audience is right there with you - everyone can relate as there's probably not a single person who hasn't been in similar shoes. So my advice would be quit worrying about being judged - enjoy the playing and focus on the audience's enjoyment - that includes if one is playing only for a judge too as some of them are too serious and stuffy and could stand to be emotionally moved by a piece. May be just what they need in life. :;):

Edited By Stretto on 1195402055
Stretto

Postby pianogal » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:58 pm

My teacher suggested doing mentle practice to prevent memory slips.
Don't ever give up piano, because you will like it someday
pianogal

Postby Tranquillo » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:01 am

Stretto wrote:My worst was when I was somewhere between ages 12 - 14 at probably my second recital ever. I was a procrastinator (still am some but not anywhere near like I was in school!).
Needless to say, I never procrastinated learning a piece for a recital again. But I learned a lot from that experience.

Heheheh ... Just like you Stretto ... got three songs lined up for me in one week ! Yay ! Let the cramming begin!
Actually this was real last minute ... It took me ages to find an appropriate song and even so, it took some time to find the sheet music! Anyways I really dont 'want' to perform ... its the others that are asking me to and I have decided to give in ...
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby Stretto » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:51 pm

Good luck! Let us now how it goes!
Stretto

Postby Tranquillo » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:37 pm

Good luck! Let us now how it goes!

Love performing! really I do! ... OK ... I didnt play piano this time ... sang ... Edelweiss and it was stright after a hardcore rock song and it calmed them down.
I singled certain ones in the audience and smiled at them and a lot smiled back! I loved every second of it!
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby Tranquillo » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:41 pm

Well, sang it again this time. The accompanist rocked up late ... I had no time to warm up. Got on ... the microphone wasnt working and then he made a ugly noticable mistake ... I smiled at certain people ... but they didnt smile back! ... And I am performing again tommorrow ... how does that work?
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby 112-1182392787 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:41 am

Don't worry about audience response: have the music in you and sing and perform for you. Know you are communicating something, and "tell" it to the audience. Sometimes they respond visibly and sometimes they don't, and if they don't, do not let that throw you. Do not worry about the audience at all. Know that you have something very interesting and fascinating to tell them about, and then tell it -- does that make sense?
112-1182392787

Postby Tranquillo » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:59 pm

pianissimo wrote:Don't worry about audience response: have the music in you and sing and perform for you. Know you are communicating something, and "tell" it to the audience. Sometimes they respond visibly and sometimes they don't, and if they don't, do not let that throw you. Do not worry about the audience at all. Know that you have something very interesting and fascinating to tell them about, and then tell it -- does that make sense?

yeah that makes sense ... I should learn a bit on movement and stage persona ... I seem to do well in duets as there is a communication between us two ... Solos ... make me feel awkard ... I dont know if I should stay in one spot or move around ... Even so I wonder if my facial expressions look too exagerated ... guess I'll take up the mirror as my friend ... :;):
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Previous

Return to Performing