Best and worst - Performance experiences

Discuss the joys and pratfalls of performance

Postby 81-1074658942 » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:05 pm

Borrowing another question from the PEP interviews, what are your best and worst performing experiences?
81-1074658942

Postby Mins Music » Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:57 pm

My WORST experience was auditioning for a place at University. I was the most nervous I'd ever been. I'd performed in front of up to 800 people before, but those three faces sitting there with their clipboards and their pens busily writing freaked me out. (Actually, come to think of it, it was my step father sitting at the back of the room that freaked me out the most). By the way, I decided my main instrument would be voice, not piano :O ) So there I was, singing out of tune, forgetting my words - stupid italian composers, why didn't they write in English ( :D ). As for my sight singing, well, it was all over the place. The most embarrassing part was when they asked me how I managed to get the top award in Music at my school. BECAUSE I'M USUALLY BETTER THAN THIS! I wanted to yell....
But in all honesty, I didn't want to do music at University, just like I didn't want to major in English. (I was also top in my school for that). I think I was going through a rebellious stage or something.
Needless to say, I was NOT accepted into the University for music, but I blitzed my drama audition! :;):
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Postby Mins Music » Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:59 pm

....By the way, I ended up doing music in my Bachelor of Arts course anyway ... the lure must have been there afterall....
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Postby 81-1074658942 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:43 pm

I think my best was when I played Arabesque No. 1 [debussy]. I felt really good about what I was doing, and I had a wonderful time.

the worst was a competition where I had to stop in my piece and start from the beginning of the repeat. I actually cried afterwards [not in front of anyone! lol] I was really mad. but actually, the judges put me through to the next round of the competition. She said that I handled my memory slip well and that the rest of the piece had a really nice shape. I guess she pulle a fast one on me. I wasn't expecting that at all!

Blech... I might be a piano teacher and I quake at the idea of auditioning.. but you know. it might not be that bad.

when I perform, whether I'm nervous or not, my hands shake. I don't realy know why, but it's very annoying.
81-1074658942

Postby 84-1077939951 » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:53 am

Its funny, I actually did better at my university audition than I ever did in any recital. No matter how calm I am before a recital, during the performance I'm a nervous mess. That's why I changed my major to music history rather than performance.

The audition was more a test of musicianship than a performance. They had me sight read some moderately difficult things --Including something in C# major. And, they had me play something by ear.

Everybody--whether Pianist or not--had to do the same thing to get into the music department.
84-1077939951

Postby 73-1078374881 » Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:34 pm

Yeah, I never do well at auditions, either... And I goof up so often when playing in public, it's be really hard to single out a "worst" performance. So now I'm very skilled at pretending that I intended to do things like that all along. :D
73-1078374881

Postby 81-1074658942 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:56 pm

Didn't you audition for University recently Violinist? How did it go?
81-1074658942

Postby 73-1078374881 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:02 am

Well...... it was okay.... :D The audition requirements were as follows: All major and minor scales (3 octaves!!!), M.M. 104, Bach piece, first movement of a concerto, and another shorter piece. I practiced soooo hard!!!!!! But the man auditioning me just told me to pick the piece I knew the best and do that. It was the concerto, but I was so nervous that I sounded like a psychotic cat in a bathtub! So he asked me if I had anything good and melodic prepared, and I didn't, so I had to remember something I hadn't played for a looong time. But, they accepted me anyways!!! (I suspect it's because all their violinists are graduating this year :p ) So that's how it went. I'm curious: has anyone besides TickleD had a GOOD audition performance??
73-1078374881

Postby 81-1074658942 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:20 pm

Well if you read my earlier post I DO mention my best performance. But I've had a lot of good ones. When I get my nerves in working order, performing is SO fun and it goes really well.
81-1074658942

Postby Chris X » Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:19 pm

I would say one of my best performances was performing Shuberts Impromptu in A flat major, Op. 90, no.4, for two recitals. I felt very comfortable with that piece. I would say the worst was performing Debussys Sarabande from Pour Le Piano, followed by his Golliwogs Cakewalk. Neither one of the pieces were memorized, and I played with next to no technique. I just did not take them serious. Recently, I performed the first movement of Beethoven's Sonata in C, Op. 2, no.3 in recital. It definitely was not the best, but it was kind of constituted a learning experience. It showed me how difficult it can be to play technical passages while nervous. I feel that if I can get past playing those thirds and trills with shakey hands, I'll definitely have accomplished something.
Lots and lots of dotted rhythm practice
Chris X

Postby 81-1074658942 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:07 pm

BLECh I know that shakey hands feeling. The minute I think "o shoot I wonder if I can make this passage" it just falls over dead.
81-1074658942

Postby 81-1074658942 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:08 pm

Sorry, struck by another quick thought.

Isn't it funny that once you get past your nerves, performance usually go really well? It's weird. It's like something in your playing lies dormant until you perform, and then it's just this serendipity kind of thing.
81-1074658942

Postby presto » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:34 am

Quidam wrote:when I perform, whether I'm nervous or not, my hands shake. I don't realy know why, but it's very annoying.

I definitely know what that is! I used to have it every time I performed. Once, even my arms were shaking, not just my fingers! Strangely, (but wonderfully), it didn't happen at my last recital. I was able to keep calm, and I'm grateful! :D
88 keys--
10 fingers--
No problem!
presto

Postby Tranquillo » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:29 pm

when I perform, whether I'm nervous or not, my hands shake. I don't realy know why, but it's very annoying.

yeah ... a couple of times my hands shook very much !

I know one time when I was performing ... the audience was like a 'practice' audience before the real thing ... thing is the set up was exactly the same way as intended .

The audience was young children and a few adults ... I was singing this time a duet ... at the end bit my partner bowed and because he bowed I decided to bow as well ... thing is I didnt know how to bow so I looked like a complete idiot!
Now I learn that when I sing something and if I sing a very graceful song I should curtzey ... rather than bow!
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby pianogal » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:16 pm

Worst performance for me was forgetting the beginning of the song.
And the best performance was not finishing with no mistakes, or finishing a song that I don't like, but having fun and enjoy the music!!!
Mentioning that, I really miss the great moment!!
Don't ever give up piano, because you will like it someday
pianogal

Next

Return to Performing