How often do you perform? - Once a month, a year, a lifetime?

Discuss the joys and pratfalls of performance

How often do you perform? - Once a month, a year, a lifetime?

Once a week
20%
Once a month
7%
Once a term
13%
Once a year
20%
More
No votes
Never
40%

Total votes : 15

Postby 81-1074658942 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:37 pm

swimming... that sounds so lovely right now

Competition preliminaries tomorrow! yay! I know I"ll nail the Ravel, I just have to make triple sure that the Bach is up and running. Pretty exciting. Dad had the idea to bring little heat packs [mycoal they're called. a lot of people take them on ski trips.. they fit in a glove] very good idea I think. And I'm going to get there early enough to have a good long warmup.
81-1074658942

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:58 pm

Hey Quid, how did the Ravel go?

Dr. Bill
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby 81-1074658942 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:32 pm

preliminaries were yesterday and everything went wonderfully well! :laugh: I'm very very pleased. The Bach was stronger than the Ravel I think, partly because I've known it longer, but also because I played it first and my hands were shaking by the time I was done. But that's life. Ravel still went quite well. At any rate, I made it through preliminaries and into the masterclasses. The first masterclass was today, and I got tons of ideas for the phrasing on Ravel.
This competition is a bit different from most. There was an audition tape round, then auditions, then two masterclasses one week apart. They choose the finalists based on the classes and auditions. From what I've heard, they don't usually include classes. It's a great way to do things! It's always good to get input from a lot of different sources

Edited By Quidam on 1099884889
81-1074658942

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:42 pm

That sounds like a really imaginative and creative way to run a competition--the masterclasses would help to show potential as well as current skill. This is in Australia, right?

B. L.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:02 pm

We haven't talked much about performing lately. I would like to know what kind of venue makes some of you most nervous. I've played in all kinds of weird situations--small rooms with the audience practically in my lap, large halls with people far away and virtually invisible, etc., etc.--and different situations seem to produce different levels of nerves.

Are you more comfortable playing for friends and family or strangers? Big halls or small? For your students? For a teacher group? In a formal, dress-up setting or informal? Church? School? Studio? Retirement home, hospital, etc.? As part of a group of solos taking turns, or the whole program yourself? Solo, chamber ensemble, or accompanying? Classical, pop, ragtime, etc.?? We could have some fun with this.

Dr. B.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby Beckywy » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:29 pm

This Benefit Concert I'm organizing will be the biggest, most formal, and the most intimidating my students would have ever performed in. It's a recital hall with 2 balconeys, it's built for chamber music. The piano is a 9 foot new york steinway. We will have stage hands, lighting crew - I have professional musicians and opera singers who will be performing along side my students. In the audience, we are expecting government officials and media representatives to be present. It's going to be nerve wracking and one of the best experiences they will ever have. I have never played in a venue like this before either. It should be fun.
"The real purpose of studying music-to unite ourselves with our special gifts in such a way that one would add strength to the other" Seymour Bernstein
Beckywy

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:34 am

Sound like it will be a fabulous event for all of you. Best of luck, and please let us know how everything turns out!

Dr. Bill.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby Tranquillo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:07 am

I perform quite oftenly. Around the once in a month bracket actually maybe once in a fortnight. It would be at various places: Jamming nights with friends, school, dinners, lunches, exams, awkard situations where the audience was only ten people and spontaneous ... other times big and planned with audiences 1000 people in size.
Once I performed consectavely for four days in row ... Another time I performed the same song 8 times infront of various audiences.
The school ones are normally large crowds and often tough crowds with ones I dont know.
Its interesting seeing audience indulgence. At times the audience is participating other times they are mesmerised ... well at least I hope they are ... :D .
Performance is something so exciting yet at times nerve racking. The nerves arent packed on me now as they used to be ages ago but I still feel them slightly back stage.
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Previous

Return to Performing