The pitfalls of digital pianos - Pedalling

Discuss the digital alternatives to the acoustic piano

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:53 am

Stretto wrote:I was kind of not only asking for myself but trying to be a spokesperson for other teachers who may be wondering about ways to best teach a person with a keyboard or digital piano and help them utilize their instrument to it's full advantage if the piano teacher should choose to accept students with these instruments.

I've spent a few days thinking about your comments. I think you're right that most piano teachers don't know much about the technology and don't know how to learn about it. That's one of the reasons that I have provided so many links to pages with technical information and written so often on technological aspects of piano teaching on PEP. I have tried to write these articles at a largely non-technical level that the average teacher can read and understand, without doing too much violence to the facts, so that the articles can used in the way that you have asked for - as a sort of general "road map" for any teacher interested in bringing the benefits of technology into her studio. In fact, I'm writing one now on MIDI technology for pianists as a Music and the Home Computer article. The article explores what MIDI is, how it originated, how it works and some of the things it can be used for.

As I've said repeatedly,the purposes of my posts on the subject have nothing to do with convincing anybody that digital pianos and keyboards are better (or worse) in any sense than the acoustic piano. I've said repeatedly that such an argument is largely pointless and sterile. However, you may not be aware that a recent piano marketing report summary indicates that digital pianos already outsell acoustic pianos worldwide, with most of those sales in the U.S. This report provides further impetus behind what I've said many times in these threads. Teachers who think they can ignore the digital piano might find themselves in a bad spot in a few years. Those who can embrace it in their teaching and studio marketing, while still acknowledging their love for the acoustic piano, will see their student numbers and income grow. :)

Edited By Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor on 1144937314
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Digital Pianos and Keyboards