Teaching electric keyboard

Discuss the digital alternatives to the acoustic piano

Postby Wild Rose » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:37 pm

What methods are there out there for teaching electric keyboard?

What do you use any why?

Thanks
Pratice is what makes the impossible, possible
Czerny

Wild Rose
Wild Rose

Postby Mins Music » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:26 pm

I've used the "complete Keyboard player" (old books). They've done the job, but the kids aren't thrilled with every choice of song (and they are songs, i.e. to be sung), and I haven't used them as 'method's as such, just picked out the pieces that are half way decent. They're taken from 'popular' repertoire. If you were to use these, make sure you go for the revised editions - the repertoire looks a little more up to date. One thing I don't like is they name every note!!

I adapt a lot of music to suit the keyboard (melody in the right hand, chords written at the top). I do a lot of arranging with the student.

If you'd like to find out more about what's available, have a look through the list of methods at the link.

Keyboard tutors
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Postby Wild Rose » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:57 am

Looks like a good site for music books Mins, but there isn't too much information.

I won't work with Thompson's anymore because of the "numbers on every note" thing - this looks like an even worse idea.

Doesn't anyone teach intervals, which SONGS are based on, and which helps with READING, rather than gettting so stuck on notes? :angry:

Sorry for the rant - somethings get me. Oh, well ???
Pratice is what makes the impossible, possible
Czerny

Wild Rose
Wild Rose

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:38 am

Wild Rose wrote:Doesn't anyone teach intervals, which SONGS are based on, and which helps with READING, rather than gettting so stuck on notes? :angry:

You might want to check our Piano Method Reviews page. We have general reviews of several major methods, as well as specific reviews of actual materials for several modern methods. We've tried in those reviews to point out those methods which emphasize intervalic reading. You should be able to find some useful information there. :)
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby Mins Music » Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:13 pm

Wild Rose wrote:Doesn't anyone teach intervals, which SONGS are based on, and which helps with READING, rather than gettting so stuck on notes? :angry:

There will always be 'limits' to methods. That's why I don't use them to 'teach'. Once you're free entirely from some book's idea of how to teach music, you can do what you what - note, intervals, patterns, combinations - whatever works.

Methods are good for beginning teachers with little experience, but ultimately, we should be Tailoring Your Lessons to the Student

Once you can 'throw away' methods, you feel wonderfully free. Adapt books/methods/repertoire to suit your teaching style - whatever it is you want to emphasise.

Keep in mind that most of these 'keyboard' books are designed for people who want to teach themselves.

ANY piano piece (Including the classics) can be adapted to the keyboard if you know how to work out chords.
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Return to Digital Pianos and Keyboards