Need any advice! - Buying a piano

Learn about pianos and how to maintain them

Postby LK123 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:34 am

If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated! I have an opportunity to purchase a grand piano (my first!!!). It is a Kawai KG D2, 25 years old, apparantly in very good shape. I am planning to go and see it within the next few days. I can't find any information on this particular model (obviously they don't make it anymore), however I briefly talked to a tuner who said it was a very popular model. Am I foolish to be looking at a piano that old? I plan to call the tuner back and ask him a few more questions about the condition of the soundboard, any major restorative work done and any issues with the piano. It was owned by only one person (a piano teacher) and regularly maintained. Please help!!!!!
LK123

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:17 pm

25 years is not old at all for a piano that has been well cared for (they hold up a lot better than we do!), so I think you are probably pretty safe. However, it's important to take a competent technician with you, as you are doing (provided he's not employed by the retailer).

Please read our article "Purchasing and Caring for a Piano or Keyboard":

www.pianoeducation.org/pnobuyng.html
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby Stretto » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:54 am

I would highly recommend reading Larry Fine's, "The Piano Book". When I was looking for a piano to buy, I found the information in his book extremely helpful. I was able to make a well-informed, educated purchase (and at a better price) as a result.
Stretto

Return to Piano Value and Maintenance