How happy are you with your piano? - Owning a piano you love to play

Learn about pianos and how to maintain them

Postby Stretto » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:53 pm

I've heard a lot of stories from others who have had less than desirable pianos in which to practice and play. I have such a story myself that I've posted on PEP before about the $50 old upright piano my dad selvaged from meeting it's fate at the dump. That's the one I learned on my first 4 years of taking lessons until he found a decent used piano (although I can't remember the name of it :D ). I sold that one when I first moved out on my own as I moved around for a while and had only a 61 key unweighted keyboard to use at home for another 4 years. I eventually saved up for quite a while and purchased my Kawaii CX-5H new about 10 years ago. Although it's not a grand and considered probably by many to be on the "low end" or "starter" end of pianos, I am really proud of it. I've had it for a little over 10 years as I mentioned with no complaints whatsoever and still enjoy it and think it's a good little piano. I am also happy with it because I did a lot of research in the beginning so feel I got a decent piano for the price. Everytime I play it or walk by and look at it, I still think a lot how happy I am with my piano.

Are you satisfied with the piano you currently use?

Edited By Stretto on 1137095728
Stretto

Postby Beckywy » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:31 pm

Satisfied, but could always use an upgrade. A bosendorfer is my dream piano.
"The real purpose of studying music-to unite ourselves with our special gifts in such a way that one would add strength to the other" Seymour Bernstein
Beckywy

Postby Cy Shuster » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:47 pm

In a similar vein, a pet peeve of mine is parents who start their children out with an instrument that's clearly in bad shape, "because we don't know if little Susie will take to piano or not.".

I don't know how you all feel about this, but the analogy I use is to think of what would happen to a student driver just learning to control a car, and their first car was an old, well-used one, where there was play in the steering wheel, the brakes didn't engage right away, and the clutch slipped.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy to give a new student a poor instrument, especially when they can't play as well at home as they can at their teacher's piano.

Of course pianos are expensive instruments; the best situation I recommend is to rent a new or nearly new piano at the start of lessons.

I quite understand the budget constraints people deal with, and I'm often able to make big improvements in the way older instruments play and sound, but if the downforce needed varies hugely from key to key, the keys wobble side-to-side, and the dampers don't quite work, any student will likely be frustrated.

I'm seeing a lot of 100-year-old pianos, shoulder high, that are available for $100 or even free. While many of them can be made into good instruments (because of the length of the strings and size of the soundboard), they generally have around 100 years of wear. Pianos are filled with cloth and felt that deteriorates over time. Wood gets brittle and splits, and so on.

By the way (while I'm ranting), these pianos are dangerous to move on your own. They're not only heavy, they're top-heavy. Typically one person gets on each end, and then they fall over onto their backs or keys.

(Whew, I feel better now...)

--Cy--
New grandpa -- it's a girl!
Cy Shuster

Return to Piano Value and Maintenance