How to become tuner/ technician

Learn about pianos and how to maintain them

Postby 74-1110833599 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:52 pm

Dear Dr. Lyke

Im hoping you can help me and answer some of my questions. I am 20 years old from Ireland, playing since I was six years old and currently doing my music degree.
I have entered into a silent world of no answers from my teachers as to where or how I can train and become a tuner. No one has answers! A piano company in our capital, one of the biggest suppliers told me my best bet was to go to Germany and work in a piano factory.

I honestly dont know where to begin.I am young and begging to get inside the piano and be able to understand it even more. American websites offer courses, at a hefty price but is this the road I should go down after my degree?Another website shows where to buy the tools and how to do it yourself, but Id prefer to learn from experience.

To become a tuner do you have to go to a factory and train? Some individuals Ive approached arnt willing to take an apprentice on, as its there way of earning money on the side I guess.

Another question...method of playing. Are there many? Can you halp me discover some or even point me in the right direction of a website? Could you please tell me about method. My teachers are bland and not teaching me anymore, only correcting my timing when I go for my lessons on pieces Im adavncing through. I yearn for something more I guess. Im looking for challenge, finger excerises and difficulty. I just want to keep learning!!!

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope I posted in the right foruim, if not sorry mod. New user!
74-1110833599

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:54 am

If I can horn in here: go to www.ptg.com and peruse the website of the Piano Technicians Guild. They have training seminars, tests, and ratings, as well as frequent classes and training sessions at their state and national conventions. You can also find the names of technicians in your area who are members.

Dr. Bill Leland.
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby 74-1110833599 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:41 pm

Am leafing through the pages as I type, Thank you Dr. Leland that was incredibly helpful of you! Sorry I posted in the wrong forum.
74-1110833599

Return to Piano Value and Maintenance