Propose a piano... - What would you recommend?

Learn about pianos and how to maintain them

Postby presto » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:51 pm

For someone who doesn't have an enormous budget and yet would like a piano of quality, which brands would you recommend? Then also, which brands would you caution against? And lastly, is there a PEP page on this subject? I threw a hasty look around the site, but there didn't seem to be one. ???
88 keys--
10 fingers--
No problem!
presto

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:47 am

Check out "Purchasing and Caring for a Piano or Keyboard" in the Table of Contents. Then get the Larry Fine Book, "The Piano Book".

Dr. Bill.
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:42 pm

presto wrote:For someone who doesn't have an enormous budget and yet would like a piano of quality, which brands would you recommend? Then also, which brands would you caution against? And lastly, is there a PEP page on this subject? I threw a hasty look around the site, but there didn't seem to be one. ???

There are several pages on PEP which deal with various issues of this sort. You can access them all from Purchasing and Caring for a Piano or Keyboard. You may also want to look at our Help! page which has links to our FAQ's pages, including one on pianos.
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby presto » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:16 am

I was sure there must be related pages on this site, and so there are. Thank you both! :)

Oh, and also--it seems that I've read somewhere besides PEP that Boston grand pianos are not recommended, although their smaller pianos are. I don't intend to purchase a grand piano, but can you tell me why that is?

Edited By presto on 1125335997
88 keys--
10 fingers--
No problem!
presto

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:44 pm

Boston pianos were designed by Steinway and are manufactured by Kawai of Japan. Larry Fine's "Piano Book" (Fourth Edition, 2001) gives a good rating to the grands on most counts. They are said to have a warmer sound than Kawai's own series of grands (though the comparison is not very meaningful because the Boston is a different design), and the attack is said to be "less explosive".

I've played one or two, and found them to be solid, responsive instruments, though they don't turn me on like a great Steinway, Mason and Hamlin or Boesendorfer. I don't think any of us on PEP have recommended against them.

Dr. Bill L.
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby presto » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:30 pm

Ah, I see. Thank you. It's nice to have advice from "the voice of experience." :)
88 keys--
10 fingers--
No problem!
presto

Return to Piano Value and Maintenance