Things falling between the keys - How detrimental is this?

Learn about pianos and how to maintain them

Postby Stretto » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:14 am

I've wondered for a long time, can damage be done having small bits of eraser fall down between the keys?

I try to have my students and myself take the music off the music rack when erasing some markings we've made in the music or writing some notes out and then needing to erase a mistake, etc. But sometimes we forget or don't want to take the time which results in crumbs of eraser sometimes falling down between the keys. I can imagine this would happen a lot in pianos at schools too.

What are the ill effects if any of something like eraser crumbs falling between the keys? Have any of you tech.s found problems with stuff like that or does it just sit there not causing any harm?
Stretto

Postby 108-1121887355 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:58 am

I, too, try to take music down to erase - also because it makes a mess on the keys. Never had a tuner mention a problem.

Your idea of stickies, though, has eliminated some writing. I found some colored arrows and one student choose green as to where to begin to practice and red to stop. Easily removed by next lesson, if accomplished goal. Use to note a difficult spot of note too. So far, so good!
108-1121887355

Postby Stretto » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:06 pm

loveapiano wrote:I, too, try to take music down to erase - also because it makes a mess on the keys. Never had a tuner mention a problem.

Your idea of stickies, though, has eliminated some writing. I found some colored arrows and one student choose green as to where to begin to practice and red to stop. Easily removed by next lesson, if accomplished goal. Use to note a difficult spot of note too. So far, so good!

Hey, never thought of the green meaning "go", red meaning "stop"! Great idea!

Edited By Stretto on 1149192446
Stretto

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:19 pm

If something tiny like bits of rubber eraser fall between the keys, there is very little danger of harm because it would fall on the key frame or keybed, where the key would not descend far enough to touch it (the front of the key strikes a felt pad). Some substances could get stuck between the keys, however (think peanut butter), and cause sticking. This could even happen with bits of rubber or paper that were large enough. (See my post on the coin thread.)

A lot of dust and fluff accumulates under there over the years, too.
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby 108-1121887355 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:08 pm

Stretto - it was my student's idea. I learn from them every day! We decided to use yellow for any spots that need special attention.
108-1121887355

Postby Stretto » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:25 pm

loveapiano wrote:Stretto - it was my student's idea. I learn from them every day! We decided to use yellow for any spots that need special attention.

Wow, that is a really neat idea. Students can come up with the most creative ideas!
Stretto

Postby 108-1121887355 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:04 pm

What causes the piano keys to make a noise - no not music - when being played? It is an old piano - can it be fixed?

Thanks
108-1121887355

Postby Cy Shuster » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:07 am

loveapiano wrote:What causes the piano keys to make a noise - no not music - when being played? It is an old piano - can it be fixed?

Thanks

Can you describe the noise? Is it a buzzing, metal-on-metal sound? It could be a broken string, loose bridge pins, or any one of dozens of other problems.

Almost anything can be fixed; it's just a matter of cost. Have your local technician check it out. You can find one here:
http://www.ptg.org

--Cy--
New grandpa -- it's a girl!
Cy Shuster

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:48 am

Or it could be in the key itself--the felt bushings in the slots that fit over the balance rail and front rail pins could be worn. Wiggle the key from side to side and see if there is excessive motion; sometimes they get so worn the keys can actually touch each other.

Worn felt bushings and loose center pins in the action, and loose hammer heads, can cause clicking, too.

Dr. Bill.
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby Stretto » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:46 pm

I've heard that buzzing sound when playing a key in the past - very annoying!
Stretto

Postby 108-1121887355 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:46 pm

It is not buzzing (have had that before) but just an extra noise when the key is pressed.

I tried the side to side - doesn't seem excessive and the keys do not touch.

I have spent a lot on this piano - not sure the tuner I have had is 'on the ball'.
108-1121887355

Return to Piano Value and Maintenance