Encouraging practice - How do you do it?

Need help with your young piano student or maybe just like to share the joy?

Postby north star » Wed May 31, 2006 12:15 pm

I'm sure every of your Musicale had been very well received by students and parents.

It must be a delight to have such an enthusiastic student who wants to play 6 pieces for the Musicale. I've attended some piano recitals where the children look as if they're been led to the slaughter when it was their turn to play.

Keep up the good work! :D
north star

Postby Stretto » Wed May 31, 2006 1:31 pm

I've always thought it strange too that most if not all of my students have always wanted to play quite a few pieces at their recitals. I require at least 2 but the beginners end up playing about 5, while the intermediate/advanced play at least 3, so they all play more than the minimum. They say, "how many pieces are we allowed to play." I let them choose but it's usually ones they've been most recently working on, plus some of their prior pieces. On some I'll say, "you might consider keeping this up for the next recital." This last April they even asked if they could play their recital pieces from last year in addition to the others. They amaze me!

I was always the type to be glad for any opportunity to get out of a recital or similar and if given the choice wouldn't do it!

Edited By Stretto on 1149103956
Stretto

Previous

Return to Parent to Parent