Piano teachers - How to find a good piano teacher

Need help with your young piano student or maybe just like to share the joy?

Postby 104-1101172182 » Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:25 pm

My 7 years old daughter has learned piano for one and half year. Her piano teacher spent the whole time to teach her scales and three pieces, which are for 1st grade exam. She seems a bit bored. I heard from my friends that some other teachers will teach more pieces, and only spend the last few months focus on exam.
I don't know which one is better for my daughter. We don't expect her to be a pianist, but wish her could have some hobby. Also, I have very limit info to search for good teachers. Basically rely on friends introduction. Is there any other way to look for good teachers?
Thanks!
104-1101172182

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:32 pm

Welcome hhgf!

If you go to out page, Learning to Play, you'll find a whole section devoted to how to find a teacher, as well as lots of other relevant information. :cool:
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby 75-1095335090 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:36 am

It is my opinion that it is better to learn a lot of pieces of the course of the year, and spend a few months at the end polishing up the exam pieces, doing the technical things (scales, etc) throughout the year.

If the student is taking lessons with the goal of becoming a professional pianist, then it is better to play lots of pieces, ever expanding the repertoir.

If the student is taking lessons as a hobby, then it is better to play lots of pieces to keep it from getting boring.

My boyfriend and I have been discussing this topic as it relates to my own study. We both agree that taking exams is a good goal, but he feels the exams are more important than the learning (though, he doesn't put it that way). I want to learn most, if not all of the pieces offered at this level before choosing which ones to play for the exam.
75-1095335090

Postby Tranquillo » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:03 pm

wow! that sounds like what my teacher does spending time to polish up on three pieces and doing a few scales. But the thing is I rocked up ten weeks before an exam and we only had ten weeks to get everything ready.
I wouldnt say I was bored at all because he pointed out details of a piece to work on to acheive the mood and the quality and feeling. He also pointed out the need for technquie in scales not just speed. My other teachers never really did spend time pointing out certain areas they just said 'next week try to play without any mistakes'.
I am quite satisfied with my teacher though ... wouldnt say I am bored ...
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Return to Parent to Parent