Royal Academy Exam

Like to talk with other young piano students? This is the place!

Royal Academy Exam

Postby kmc » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:12 pm

Hi,

My son is 7 years old and he has been playing piano for 4 years. Some of my friends suggested me to let him take the Royal Academy Exam. I talked to his teacher who told me that he can porbably try the 3rd level. I have been thinking a lot about the pros and cons of going for an exam. I have heard a lot about how the students just play for the exam. The pieces that he play will be very limited to the exam syllabus. Can anyone share with me why students need to sit for a music exam?

Thanks,
KMC
kmc

Re: Royal Academy Exam

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:14 am

Although I'm not a teacher and I hope teachers will respond, there can be a number of good reasons for sitting for an exam. Some of them have to do with finding out the child's true abilities when compared with others of the same age or training. Others are pedagogical: having experts (i.e. the judges) rate the child's technique and point out areas of improvement or extension. This provides a good check for the teacher. Still others relate to giving the child the experience of playing under a bit more pressure than he is used to. If there are any problems with technique or learning, they will tend to appear in situations which place more demands on the student. Finally, some students actually enjoy challenging themselves in this way. I can't know your teacher's or child's mind on these matters, but these are some possible reasons. I'm sure teachers could cite many more! :)
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Return to Young Students