Help?

Like to talk with other young piano students? This is the place!

Postby socksrock » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:23 pm

Hi,

I just recently bought a new Casio Keyboard. I've mastered Fer-Elise. (one of my fav all time songs) and now i would like to move onto something else. i would like to learn Evanescence. i would love to learn Hello. although i have not a clue how to read music. my friend is a fantastic piano player but she doesn't know how to read music either. Is there a way that I can find a page or a web site so that i can figure out the keys to play a song like hello?

This might sound really weird to those of you who do know how to read music. but does any one know what i'm talking about?

socksrock

Postby Mins Music » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:56 am

Hi socksrock!! Welcome to the board. I really like Evanescence music too. Here's a link you can go to. On the page is their song Hello - if you click on the keyboard symbol next to it, it will take you to a page that shows you the chords for the song. This will help you start to work out the melody. The chords are in pictorial form down the bottom too. Hope this helps. Hello
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Postby socksrock » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:23 pm

Thank you so much. I'll go and practice right now :p

BTW: Where do you find stuff like that? do you just know people? :p

Thanks again.

and i'm glad to be here :D
socksrock

Postby Stretto » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:44 pm

I'm glad someone knew of the songs you were asking about as I've never heard of them. What kind of song is Hello? or Evenescence?

What are some of your other favorite songs? So many teachers have had the problem like me of finding music to keep teenagers interested. Do you know what other songs are popular these days for the younger crowd?

Edited By Stretto on 1165790700
Stretto

Postby socksrock » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:49 pm

I'm not very up to date on what kids like :p i'm a dork and like very diferent music. Evanescence is a....... a...... Evanescence :p they have all kinds of diferent music. they play a lot of rock music. but they also have songs like hello, give unto me, and my imortal. those songs are just Amy Lee (the lead singer) and the piano. Amy Lee has a AMAZING voice. and is a pretty good piano player. here is a link to Hello on You Tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RgbAitABb0

Hope that's of some help :)
socksrock

Postby InspiredPianist » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:35 pm

Stretto wrote:So many teachers have had the problem like me of finding music to keep teenagers interested. Do you know what other songs are popular these days for the younger crowd?

Hi! I'm a 14 year old pianist and would love to say what kind of music keeps me interested!!

My absolute favorite kinds of music are duos and concertos to play with my piano teacher. I'm not a big fan of slow and contemporary music.... My favorite style would be anything fast and with great dynamics (Hahaha... althought I have to play it slow and boring for awhile until I get it right)

My current repertoire for this year of songs I found very enjoyable has beenthe concerto Hummel's Rondo Mvt. 3, a solo called Tarantella Espagnole (by Byer), a duet called "Capprioco Chromatico", a duo written in the 1920's called "Corre, Corre (Run, Run)" and a duo called "To Be Free" (Not sure of the composers name)

Other than music that keeps me interested, I do think that working with ensembles with other students my age keeps me motivated as well as Federation, City, and State competitions.

I go to a public art magnet school and love being able to play piano every day with other kids my age. Sometimes, when I was younger, it felt like I was the only kid in the universe taking lessons. As soon as I met other kids my age having to practice every day, I felt a lot better and focussed more on my piano. When I have a group of people to work with, I also feel as if my part is important because without it the piece sufferes.

I hope this helps a bit... It really feels like I'm just babbling, but everything I said is true!! :D
InspiredPianist

Postby Stretto » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:24 pm

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your perspective. I've had a couple students at ages 14 and 12 who I had a hard time coming up with anything they seemed interested in. I asked their parents to take them to the music store and browse and see if they saw anything they were interested in. They came to their lessons with new music but their interest fell by the wayside a few weeks later. I asked them what happened as to why they weren't interested in the books they had picked out and the answer from both students was: "Well, it was really something my parents picked out because they liked it."

I had one student who would start a piece then decide she didn't like it, start another piece and decide she didn't like it, and on it went. She would learn only the parts of the piece she liked and then want to be finished with the piece. I have a good idea she probably wasn't sure herself what she really liked. It's funny, though, she loved fast pieces. One of her favorites was a Scherzo and also Arabesque by Burgmuller (only she butchered the pieces because she would try to play them as fast as possible and it took a lot of convincing to get her to slow down to make the notes come together in the right places.)

I learned some things as a teacher from these experiences so as not to fall into the same boat with a student again. But I sure could have used some ideas to try with these students at the time. I'd like to know what piano music students around ages 12 or 13 on up are most interested in learning so that I am armed with more motivating pieces of music the next time.

I will look into the pieces you mentioned. Thanks again for the ideas. :)

Edited By Stretto on 1171867357
Stretto

Postby InspiredPianist » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:25 am

I'm glad that I could help out a bit! The piano studio I go to is only middle school students and high school students. At the beginning of the first semester, my teacher calls us over in groups. She then gets a pile of all the music on our level and plays bits of each piece. Meanwhile, we rate each piece on a scale of 1-10 (1 being "can't stand it" and 10 being "let me play or i shall absolutely die!!!!") By the next lesson, she has gone over the lists that we made, as well as our quartet, duo, and duet partner's lists, and selected songs that are all interested in playing. This being my first year at her studio, I wasn't used to this at all. But once I got there, I had a chance to talk with my duet partner and find out what styles we both liked and both didn't like. (Hmm. We both like fast... we both like loud... do i see a pattern? :) ) I really think this is very effective, especially since we must like the pieces we play since we have them the whole entire year. (For Federation, etc.)
InspiredPianist

Postby pianogal » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:20 pm

I used to play classical music on my own for over 6 years. Once I got piano lesson last year, my teacher forced me to learn contemproray songs. I learned 4 so far. Although I find them easier to learn and to play, I still love classical music better. Most of Contemprorays have pretty much the same structure through out the piece, not very interesting. Classicals, on the other hand, have slow parts, fast parts, highly dynamic parts... it's very fun!

:)
Don't ever give up piano, because you will like it someday
pianogal

Postby Rebekah » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:47 pm

Everyone is an individual ... and eveybody's taste is different ... me personally (I'm fifteen) I'm into classical opera mainly, I also like romantic and jazz.

It seems it isnt easy to find pieces that keep teens motivated. But I suppose the thing is when you look into the music scene many teens seem to enjoy the 'pop' contemporary type stuff.

I used to be into this sorta stuff but if have found the structure to be tedious as many songs are continously repetitive (but that is just my opinoun) I know my current teacher feels the same way. However, there is a plus side ... with some of this music you can get teens to accompany themselves (sing and play)

Anyways to get to the point what that pop scene includes would include ones such as :
Kelly Clarkson
Evanescene
Rufus Wainwright
Norah Jones (not many teens really like norah jones but if you have any teen contraltos ... then they'll prob know her stuff and sing and play)
Alica Keys
Maroon 5
Britney Spears
Mariah Carey
Vanessa Calton
Missy Higgins (Australian most likely not know in the states)
Delta Goodrem(same as the above)

Well they are the few known ones ... hope that helps
Rebekah

Postby pianogal » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:54 pm

Playing while singing can be hard...but it is really fun!
I think the piano part of the pop songs aren't as great as piano solos. Most of us are still in the learning process, we should learn the songs of our level and that we know we can improve by practicing them.
Don't ever give up piano, because you will like it someday
pianogal

Postby Stretto » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:42 pm

Guest wrote:Everyone is an individual ... and eveybody's taste is different ... me personally (I'm fifteen) I'm into classical opera mainly, I also like romantic and jazz.

It seems it isnt easy to find pieces that keep teens motivated. But I suppose the thing is when you look into the music scene many teens seem to enjoy the 'pop' contemporary type stuff.

I used to be into this sorta stuff but if have found the structure to be tedious as many songs are continously repetitive (but that is just my opinoun) I know my current teacher feels the same way. However, there is a plus side ... with some of this music you can get teens to accompany themselves (sing and play)

Anyways to get to the point what that pop scene includes would include ones such as :
Kelly Clarkson
Evanescene
Rufus Wainwright
Norah Jones (not many teens really like norah jones but if you have any teen contraltos ... then they'll prob know her stuff and sing and play)
Alica Keys
Maroon 5
Britney Spears
Mariah Carey
Vanessa Calton
Missy Higgins (Australian most likely not know in the states)
Delta Goodrem(same as the above)

Well they are the few known ones ... hope that helps

Thanks for posting your suggestions. If I'm ever needing something to keep interest, I'll look into these. I started using a classical piano literature series (in levels) with my students this past year in which I like the majority of the pieces in these several being well-known classical piano literature pieces. I also will supplement with other classical material. I'm trying to make this their main book (unless a student were diehard against classical) and then supplement with any other music they would like to learn in addition.

I've started teaching pop music via sight-reading assignments by giving students easier versions of pop pieces just to sight-read that don't require a huge amount of practice. Also, trying to get more into helping them figure out favorite songs by ear and improv. It is very hard to find decent arrangements of pop music. Why is that, I wonder? It seems either the arrangments of pop pieces are at advanced levels or so simplified students don't even like them as they don't sound like what they're used to hearing as I'm sure most here has experienced.

I've had a "disclaimer" recently on the information I give to new students/families regarding pop, rock pieces students might want to learn to get me out of the loop of being responsible to find music for the most current popular songs and keep up with what's most current. I wrote under a section on my information regarding books and new music something to the effect, "any student wishing to learn there favorite current rock, pop, country, songs, parents and students will need to find and select the music themselves and I will be glad to help them learn these. The only exception being those songs or groups that I feel have a negative influence or negative lyrics." That's sort of the jist of it and mainly to get me out from being expected to come up with pieces of music of the most current groups that students might be listening to.

I've asked a few teenagers of families I know what music they are listening to these days and some of their favorite songs or favorite kinds of music. The response I get is they listen to "whatever" or "just about anything" with no specific group or songs in mind.

Thanks again for providing the suggested list. I do think it very difficult to find sheet music or books with these songs except for advanced levels and then there is still the question of are the arrangements decent. Whenever I find a book of pop songs at the intermediate level with arrangements that sound fairly decent, I purchase my own copy and keep it on hand then show students the book and selections in the book and see if they are songs that would interest them and then get them their own copy.

Does anyone buy sheet music of pop songs or sheet music of other songs you like? What ones? I find sheet music to be so expensive compared to buying a whole book of pieces, I don't buy much or assign much from sheet music but if anyone had specific recommendations I might look into them.
Stretto

Postby Stretto » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:50 pm

pianogal wrote:Playing while singing can be hard...but it is really fun!
I think the piano part of the pop songs aren't as great as piano solos. Most of us are still in the learning process, we should learn the songs of our level and that we know we can improve by practicing them.

Yes, as I mentioned it's sooo hard as a teacher to find pop songs students would like and at their skill level. I always feel students are waiting around expecting me to pull something marvelous out of my hat that is some current famous pop piece for them to learn but it seems like trying to find a needle in a haystack let alone even keeping up on what's popular currently which seems to vary so much anymore from individual to individual even among teens - would you agree?

Singing to accompany on pop songs is a good idea.

I mentioned I started trying to make classical the main focus in teaching filling in with pop songs as sight-reading and improv. assignments with the occasional decent arrangement of pop songs I might find. I found that I am much more in my "element" in teaching when teaching from classical piano lit. and there is soooo much more I can find to say about technique, articulation, expression, form, music history, the composer, etc. within one single piece of classical literature as compared with pop pieces or pieces in lesson books in methods. When I did a lot of contemporary Christian pieces as a teen, I do remember learning really well how to count tricky rhythms as I would have to discect the rhythm bit by bit to figure out how the piece was to go so understanding more complicated rhythm is one plus to teaching pop music.
Stretto

Postby Tranquillo » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:13 am

Glad to help ... Signed up now (Was rebekah)
As far as books I know there is a whole sheetmusic/book library at my school i'll check em out ...
But I know there is a brand called "budget books" look for budget books contemporary hits.

They sell a certain music score book with contemporary hits. Some of which include, complicated, hero, only hope, Fallin, Beautiful see if your teen students reconise them songs ... then you can decide its worth it. The book is quite cheap normally costing around $12.50. Some of the arrangements can be advanced but with pop songs you'll find there are chords up above otherwise known as guitar chords ... you could get then teen to improvise chord arrangements in the left and play the melody line in the right.

As for sheet music a song called "Only Hope" performed by Mandy Moore in "A walk to remember" (a movie). The score normally costs $3 ... since its not a new release ... another arrangement that is intermidiate ... not sure about the cost but this song was a big hit "A thousand Miles"... Vanessa Calton ... The song is in B major but the reconizable melody is repetitive and the notes in the bass only consist of mainly three notes ...

As for singing ... It is fun ... if it does get hard sometimes I just think it takes practice ... I find if at first somebody else sings for the student (teacher) then that would aid the student singing... Its just an Idea...

Glad to be a help anytime ! :)
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Return to Young Students