Small-handed pianists..!

Like to talk with other young piano students? This is the place!

Postby InspiredPianist » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:20 pm

I'm in middle school and have been playing piano for about 9 years. Through these years, I couldn't help but notice how many tiny-handed pianists there are!! :D

Most of my friends who have started when they were young have really small hands like me but my friends who started one or two years ago have huge hands!

Is this just coincidence and genetics or does anyone else think small-handed pianists get their hand sizes from playing for a long time????

Just curious and thought it was funny to think about...! thanks! :D
InspiredPianist

Postby Stretto » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:07 pm

Welcome!

Here's one theory: Maybe people who have a natural tendency to the arts also have small hands. Then people with big hands just realize later in life that they can play the piano well without much trouble and pick up on something they discover is easy because of their larger hand size. :D (I don't know - just a thought!)

I have small hands and as a kid used to think I had long fingers and big hands but actually that's not true at all - their small for playing the piano.

Once I saw a pianist play with very small hands and short fingers who played amazingly well. I found it an inspiration that if that person could play that well, that others with small hands shouldn't let it be a factor in affecting their ability to play well. :)

Edited By Stretto on 1171866339
Stretto

Postby Stretto » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:49 am

Since we're on the subject of hand-size and piano playing, has anyone ever been told or heard of someone being told they would never be able to play the piano because of their hand size or shape of their hand or fingers?
Stretto

Postby InspiredPianist » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:51 am

Although I'm not ever going to let my small hands hold me back, I have hit some fences that I'm still learning to climb.

Just recently I was given Holy, Holy, Holy, arr. Nielsen & Young. The whole entire piece is basically chords, consisting mostly of octaves, going all over the place. My hands are so small I can barely reach most of them! (My hands can only reach 1 octave from the tip of my thumb to the tip of my pinky!) To solve this, my teacher has suggested to play the top three notes instead of trying to play the whole octave. It's helped a lot but at times I sometimes wish that there was some fertilizer to make my hands grow!!! :laugh:

Do any small handed pianists have any other tips besides just practicing and adapting?? (hahaha! it sounds like im writing about a disability!)
InspiredPianist

Postby Stretto » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:18 pm

I've often wondered, why did composers write that stuff with big stretches for the hand?

Edited By Stretto on 1172351953
Stretto

Postby InspiredPianist » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:16 pm

Same here!!!
They must've had very large hands.
Sigh. Oh the agonies of small hands. :p
InspiredPianist

Postby pianogal » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:30 pm

I am a high school freshman, I have small hands too! Plus, I injured them from stretching too hard and practicing too hard, I've only taken 2.5 years of lesson. :(
Anyway, I've heard from someone that you can use a strong rubber band, tie it around 4 of your fingers (for the exception of the thumb) and try your best to open your hands.
*don't ever try too hard, if you feel soreness, stop immediately.
If your hands are in good condition, you can start the exercise right now. I have to wait until my hands fully recovered.
All right, hope this helped, and good luck!
Don't ever give up piano, because you will like it someday
pianogal

Postby pianogal » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:33 pm

Haha, usually, men have huge hands. That's why we should try female composers' songs.
Unfortunately, too little song choices :(
Don't ever give up piano, because you will like it someday
pianogal

Postby Tranquillo » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:09 am

thats unusuall I compared my hands the other day to other girls in my year ... they all reakoned because I play piano I have giant hands... (I'm a girl btw).
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Return to Young Students