Poll: what kind of music do you like to play? - Let us know what you like!

Like to talk with other young piano students? This is the place!

Poll: what kind of music do you like to play? - Let us know what you like!

Rock
No votes
New Age
No votes
Folk
No votes
Blues
No votes
Jazz
13%
Classical
81%
Other
6%

Total votes : 16

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:16 pm

Stretto wrote:It would be really helpful to me as a teacher to know what specific pieces of music have been enjoyable for young students especially. It would be helpful to me if those that teach, take lessons, have kids taking lessons, or all of us thinking back through our own lesson experience to make a list of all the pieces of music we have found most enjoyable.

Check out our Listening List and Composer Resource page. It has a long list, with links to playable MIDI files, where available, of works that we think most piano students should eventually come to know. I know this isn't exactly what you asked for, but it's close enough that I thought you might want to know about it.
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby Stretto » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:37 pm

Yes, this is quite an excellent and extensive list. It's also a great resource to listen to how pieces will sound in advance as well. Perhaps there's some mingled in the list that would be suitable for beginner to early-intermediate. I was hoping to get some ideas for that range of skill level particularly including favorites for the teen students. Any in that list that teens especially have enjoyed playing?

I've had a couple students in particular who seem to turn down just about everything I come up with. I even have students fill out a questionare sheet asking what kinds of music and what styles they would like to learn. Maybe I should have them update the sheet from time to time. I've had a couple students in the intermediate levels ages 10 -15 who I am really at a loss for what to assign. I can give assignments that I feel are important, but as far as something additional that they would be interested in . . . ?

Also, what are some all time favorite pieces for the 5-7 age group that they don't seem to ever get tired of playing?

Edited By Stretto on 1138056208
Stretto

Postby 108-1121887355 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:35 am

This is hard to answer as each student is different, even within age groups and years of piano.
I have several boys in the 5-8 group and three girls. Star Wars theme, first page and onto finish for some, is still a favorite. Hedwig's theme is a close second, even with some girls. Easy version of Wm Tell Overture (with tape loaned) is also often re played. Do Re Mi is a great teaching tool, with key changes and chords for some. One of my 8 yo girls is in her 3rd year of piano and far ahead of the others. She loves a lot of music and continues to play many pieces. She likes the Cha Cha rhythm, Mocking Bird, and Spooks (from Halloween) and a Bach Air from Bernice Frost book. She enjoys the classics - starts slowly and warms up and most become a favorite until the next one takes over. Turkey in the Straw is a favorite too.
The theme from Haydn's Surprise Symphony is played often and Haydn's story is fun. Beethoven's Ode to Joy, is enjoyed by the young ones too, and Bach's Musette. Some may just learn the first themes, but a start on the classics. I teach a lot of folk songs to this age group at the start.
For those in a musical theatre program here, they often ask for a song from the show. I will usually write out the right hand and we will add chords if they wish.
I do not have any teen agers now, but two are close. Thery are girls with differing interests. Fur Elise is still a favorite. Last year one played The Sabre Dance and love it. The other girl got into Rimsky-Korsakov with the good old Song of India. At first she found it difficult and then went on to play a theme from Scheherazade and and modified version of Flight of the Bumble Bee. Bach's Minuet in G is still a favorite, Soldier's March, and First Loss. Schumann, Can Can, Unfinished Symphony, Kabalevsky's The Clown, and so many more. I am beginning the girls on some Sonatinas this month. One loves it and one is hesitant. The older girls do enjoy the popular music and usually begin a song on their own. I suggest they purchase the music if they REALLY like it. Some are so fleeting and the singles so expensive, that I let them go as far as they can, with some help, and then they are onto another one. We have worked on a couple of pieces from the music. Show tunes are enjoyed by some, too. One girl loves Rags.
I could go on...I will add to this as my students let me know their favorites. There are too many to name.

:D
108-1121887355

Postby Tranquillo » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:33 am

ok there was not an all of the above and you cant pick two ... I love Jazz, Classical Opera and Romantic ...
Mainly I do like other pieces of other styles.
What I dont like is trance/techno and some genrés of rock. I am not a big fan of contemporaries ... but there are some exceptions I would say.

Edited By Becibu on 1189821466
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby pianogal » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:15 pm

For some reason, I find contemporaries killing my hand.
They are suppose to be easier than classical, but the hand stretchings hurt. Is there anyway my fingers can get longer?
Don't ever give up piano, because you will like it someday
pianogal

Postby Tranquillo » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:54 pm

Yes it seems that some contemporary songs can be hard. What you can do is prune the song down to suit your hand. Contemporary songs mostly have chords up above otherwise known as guitar chords. What you can do is instead of playing what is directed to break the chord up or alter the fingering.

As far as your hand growing often my teacher would remind me that I am still young (15 years old) and is quite sure that my hands will grow bigger even though they are pretty big... (I can stretch an octave very easily) .

Other than that dont worry about your hands being small they'll grow in their time (guessing because you are on this forum you are still young) ... there are other ways around it.

Also with contemporaries yes the are MUCH more easier than classical. Comtemporaries often have a very repetitive nature ... they are often only based on a few chords and the structure is often verse, chorus, verse chourus sometimes with a bridge. There arent many dynamics with contemporaries and most (to me) lack melody...
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby +_+__+_+ » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:30 am

I LIke a the rock :p
+_+__+_+

Previous

Return to Young Students