More than one lesson a week ... - Would you do it?

Like to talk with other young piano students? This is the place!

Postby Tranquillo » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:46 pm

It would be almost a dream to have more than one lesson a week... the time and the exspense are the critical issues.

I sometimes think of seeing a different teacher to be trained via a different methodology. Some teachers encourage seeing other teachers and having change of teacher to get different perceptions and understand different ways of learning.
A few of my musicain friends that teach on the side and accomapany and regualy perform see other teachers ... they may see a certain teacher once a week and another for every month.
Having said that some teachers and students feel as though different methodologies could conflict with the way the student learns/the teacher method.
So, I am posing a question ... How does one feel about seeing other teachers and taking more than one lesson a week or even just having other teachers. Do you feel as though futher guidance from several other proffesionals will assist the learning of a student or confuse?
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby pianogirlbritney » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:17 am

Hi, I used to have flute lessons twice a week, but when I started to want to play piano again and my teacher switched days I had an hour flute lesson and an hour and a half piano lesson all on one day, that was hard, I was also taking saxophone lessons, piccolo lessons and then I wanted guitar lessons and it got hard to do all of that. Now I have my lesson 1/2 hour a week and switch between piano, flute and guitar! That's enough. If I had the time, I would want piano lessons every day! Sometimes my parents ask me to take a break from playing piano so my sisters can play, but I sometimes practice piano 4 hours a day! I want to study piano at university and be a piano performance major. I am probably going to stay in band but only take piano lessons and in the summer, I am going to have 1 hour lessons, 3 times a week. I am working on some Chopin right now and Bach. I am getting a new accoustic piano for me that can also go silent so I can play piano in the middle of the night if I want! I WANT, I WANT! :laugh: :) :;):
pianogirlbritney

Postby Tranquillo » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:31 am

Guest wrote:Hi, I used to have flute lessons twice a week, but when I started to want to play piano again and my teacher switched days I had an hour flute lesson and an hour and a half piano lesson all on one day, that was hard, I was also taking saxophone lessons, piccolo lessons and then I wanted guitar lessons and it got hard to do all of that. Now I have my lesson 1/2 hour a week and switch between piano, flute and guitar! That's enough. If I had the time, I would want piano lessons every day! Sometimes my parents ask me to take a break from playing piano so my sisters can play, but I sometimes practice piano 4 hours a day! I want to study piano at university and be a piano performance major. I am probably going to stay in band but only take piano lessons and in the summer, I am going to have 1 hour lessons, 3 times a week. I am working on some Chopin right now and Bach. I am getting a new accoustic piano for me that can also go silent so I can play piano in the middle of the night if I want! I WANT, I WANT! :laugh: :) :;):

Hi pianogirlbritney, great to hear you on the board! Registration is only a matter of minutes and we'd love to hear from you!

WOW, multi-instrumented! I play piano and I am also a vocal student. I take an hour lesson for piano and an hour for voice but they are on different days. Even so, keeping up with two instruments is enough for me ... especially when I am being taught by two complete different teachers. Hats off to you for keeping up with THREE instruments!

I am doing music in my highschool as one of my electives so that means I have three school music lessons a week but its really nothing compared to my one on one piano/singing lessons since they are more intense!

Piano lessons everyday! WOW ... that is amazing! Wish I had your determination!

I'm sure with your immense amount of musical talent and skill you'd be a versitile musicain and a very empathetical one too! All the best for your future plans! Wish I had the time to take up another instrument ... piano and singing is enough at the moment, if I had a choice I would love to do cello. (just a dream)
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby pianogal » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:11 pm

Trust me, having twice a week isn't THAT fun.
I hardly have time to enjoy myself. :D
It's hard to be perfect in everything (school, afterschool sporting activities, piano lessonS, homeworks...)
Which is why I havn't posted much recently.
But Becibu, I'm assuming you have plenty of time for another lesson, go for it!
Don't ever give up piano, because you will like it someday
pianogal

Postby Tranquillo » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:22 am

pianogal wrote:Trust me, having twice a week isn't THAT fun.
I hardly have time to enjoy myself. :D
It's hard to be perfect in everything (school, afterschool sporting activities, piano lessonS, homeworks...)
Which is why I havn't posted much recently.
But Becibu, I'm assuming you have plenty of time for another lesson, go for it!

Actually, I dont have much time on my hands. I am out every night except for Monday and Sunday!

I am a senior highschool student so it means I stay later at school than usual. I am doing Music as a Major subject in my highschool (which means that I have extra practice!)

Music wise I do have 5 lessons a week, I have three MUSIC lessons in a class, one hour SINGING and one hour PIANO. Finding the time to fit it all in comes managable if I can split it up my time and do practice such as choir training, ensemble practice, competition duet/ accompanying practice and Student Council meetings. Anyways enough about time management.

In the topic, I posed this question really that two lessons for an average person particually a full time student is probably unattainable, however, givern the oppurtunity would you think that is a good or bad thing? Do you think methods would clash and confuse or do you think it would expose and allow for a wider understanding?

E.g/ My music teacher at school is a fluntist, we are working on a flute cantata for soprano, piano(harpsicord orginally) and flute.

As a flute teacher he is giving he insights to shaping the melody and phrasing.

At the same time my singing teacher and I are working with the Bach Cantata and he is teaching me from a German diction and techical perspective. Both are teaching the same song but from a different angle and both have imparted their musical knowledge and understanding to me.

So basically taking two lessons a week, from a different teacher teaching a different method is it beneficail? Does two lessons a week improve? Or too often?
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Wed May 14, 2008 8:17 am

Becibu wrote:So basically taking two lessons a week, from a different teacher teaching a different method is it beneficail? Does two lessons a week improve? Or too often?

Whether two lessons or more a week is beneficial depends on you! Do you have the time and the motivation to practice and prepare for two lessons a week? If you're going to lessons and making the same mistakes, then you're probably not benefiting that much from the extra lesson. Another option, and probably preferable in most cases, is to have one lesson a week, but double the time you spend in it. Most teachers will prefer this, as they often lament that they just don't have enough time in one normal lesson slot (typically 30 or 45 minutes) to accomplish what they would like to accomplish. Talk with your teacher about the options. I admire your commitment to piano.
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby Tranquillo » Fri May 16, 2008 2:29 am

Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor wrote:
Becibu wrote:So basically taking two lessons a week, from a different teacher teaching a different method is it beneficail? Does two lessons a week improve? Or too often?

Whether two lessons or more a week is beneficial depends on you! Do you have the time and the motivation to practice and prepare for two lessons a week? If you're going to lessons and making the same mistakes, then you're probably not benefiting that much from the extra lesson. Another option, and probably preferable in most cases, is to have one lesson a week, but double the time you spend in it. Most teachers will prefer this, as they often lament that they just don't have enough time in one normal lesson slot (typically 30 or 45 minutes) to accomplish what they would like to accomplish. Talk with your teacher about the options. I admire your commitment to piano.

The reason why this idea of seeing two teachers came to my mind rather than one is because I was speaking of the differing insights that other teachers can offer. I have been through 4 piano teachers so far and each has something different to offer and a different approach.

Musically I have been through 6 different music teachers - thats 10 teachers teaching music that I have encountered. Also, I have met and observed many other lessons of other people ... through that I can see different areas and approaches.

In the end, yes it depends on you ... it is time and money but at the same time it is knowledge and enjoyment. I think the thing with seeing two different teachers a week in the same area of study or instrument could lead to confusion if the methods 'clash'. My new teacher teaches so differently to how my last teacher taught. My last teacher put an emphasis on "technique and reading" ... The new teacher I have puts the emphasis on "technique and repertoire" ... Even the approach to technique is different in both. My new teacher does not shape my hands he gets me to feel certain sensations and get aquaited with certain shapes. .. the former teacher I had used to "mould" my hand in a certain way.

I could go on here but the point is seeing two teachers a week can be confusing if they teach differently ... but at the same time they can offer valuable insights in their special area of expertise ... Perhaps seeing two teachers a week isnt the most advisable thing as things may "clash" but at the same time they could compliment ... any thoughts?
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Fri May 16, 2008 8:06 am

Becibu wrote:Musically I have been through 6 different music teachers - thats 10 teachers teaching music that I have encountered. Also, I have met and observed many other lessons of other people ... through that I can see different areas and approaches.

I could go on here but the point is seeing two teachers a week can be confusing if they teach differently ... but at the same time they can offer valuable insights in their special area of expertise ... Perhaps seeing two teachers a week isnt the most advisable thing as things may "clash" but at the same time they could compliment ... any thoughts?

Only you know whether the situation is sufficiently confusing to motivate you away from having two different teachers. If you feel that the different methods of the two teachers are really clashing, then it's probably time to choose one over the other. With 6 different teachers in your "experience base", getting the broadening effect of having two teachers simultaneously is probably not a major concern, unless you can honestly say that each teacher is giving you something important that the other doesn't. It's hard to give you more specific advice from the other side of the world, literally. I'm pretty sure that you will do what's best. :)
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby Tranquillo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:07 pm

I have come to the realisation that when students become real advanced many see several different teachers rather than one. In its most initial stages it can be confusing to a student. Also, on proffessional levels ... many advanced see piano teachers temporarily for lessons infact this may involve several teachers and differing interpretive opinions. I begin to see this as I emerge into higher levels...
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Return to Young Students