Plans for the future - What are your goals?

Like to talk with other young piano students? This is the place!

Postby 81-1074658942 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:04 pm

What are your goals with music? Just a question from the eternally-curious Quidam. :D

I'm thinking about becoming a piano/music teacher. Maybe at a university eventually. But, of course, I'll just have to see how things work out in the end.
At any rate, even if I decided not to pursue a musically-oriented career, I'll probably continue to play the piano for the rest of my life. It's such a wonderful thing!

So... what are your goals and ideas?
81-1074658942

Postby 73-1078374881 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:33 am

Well, Quidam, my goals are to go to France, learn Italian, and learn how to work a Skillsaw and walk away with all my fingers intact- oh! You mean MUSIC goals?? :p This is what I'd like to do unless God has something different planned- go to college, earn a Bachelor's in Music Performance. Then I'd like to play in a major symphony and teach lots of private students. It would be fun to help with church music, too. If I got married, I'd probably keep on doing the Symphony and teaching, unless that interfered with me being a good spouse! If I had kids, I'd quit the Symphony but keep some students. Somewhere in there I am going to learn Debussy's L'Isle Joyeuse. That's hopefully what I'll do, but you never know what life's going to throw you. What about you, Quid?
73-1078374881

Postby 73-1078374881 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:34 am

Whoops!!! Hahahahaha!!!! I just finished reading the REST of Quidam's post, so never mind!!!! :laugh:
73-1078374881

Postby 80-1091265929 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:09 am

my music goals.... learn all the hard pieces first then go on to the easy ones(and learn them completely!!).. right now i'm trying to learn ballad 23 and wind etude(25no11) by chopin, I already know his fantasy impromptu so this shouldn't be too hard :D , hopefully spread my musical interests and expand my ever expanding repetoire from many composers(especially chopin!), after high school? Continue to run my businesses, grow and expand, and then just played piano as a really cool hobby, I think when i get 40, ill get "certified" and then teach piano as a hobby... what you going to do?
80-1091265929

Postby 112-1093136018 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:35 pm

i actually want to major in music and english -- i want to be a writer who teaches piano on the side . . .not too much different from what i do now, 'cept with my own house and a degree
112-1093136018

Postby 76-1144948098 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:09 pm

I'm heading for an ARCT (or equivalent) in Piano and Flute, and then Teach. I might get a degree in music one day, I don't know. I figure I can still have a family and teach. What a great job!
76-1144948098

Postby minorkey » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:29 am

Quidam! Welcome back! I've missed your posts! Are you going to re-register and join us again? I figured you were headed straight for music school, based on your previous posts.

As for me, my goal is to become the very best amateur I possibly can; am too old (?) for music school, although I'd like to learn more theory.
minorkey

Postby 108-1121887355 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:37 pm

Minorkey, I am sure you should be able to find some theory courses in the area. If you don't want credit, just audit them. Years ago, I took theory from my daughter's piano teacher. It was great fun and reviewed a lot I had learned in music school.Actually did some composeing, which I had not done before.
Go for it!

Joan
108-1121887355

Postby minorkey » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:11 am

Yes, you're right, I'm sure there are opportunities that I can take advantage of, if I just make the committment of time. I've always had the idea on the "back burner" of my mind (which is getting kind of crowded these days!)
Actually I'm rather embarassed because I realized today that this was a "young student's" forum, and I'm hardly that! Sorry!
minorkey

Postby LK123 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:27 am

Although this is an older topic I see that there have been some recent posts, so I thought I'd add in my two cents.....

I have been taking piano lessons since September, after a 15 yr absence from playing. I am currently working on my grade 9 RCM, planning on doing my exam next summer. I work part time as a nurse and have three children with one more set to arrive in June. I am aiming towards my ARCT and then I want to teach piano for a living. It will take my longer than I originally anticipated, as kids and shift work definately cut into my playing/practice time. I have always wanted to be a piano teacher, so I will perservere even if it does take a long time! I am planning to start teaching my 5 year old in the fall, so I can start cutting my teaching teeth on her.
LK123

Postby LK123 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:29 am

Oops, I guess I'm not exactly a young student! Sorry about that.
LK123

Postby Stretto » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:39 pm

Oh, well, don't worry about it. I had a similar plan as yours and had that plan from the time I was 21 (so I at least was young when I had the plan, hee, hee!), started toward a music degree at 23 and after that worked full-time at an office for a while, then started teaching piano to a few students after work, had kids, quit work to stay home with kids, then when they got a little older started adding more students.

I guess I did make a lot of long range goals and plans to get to the point where I could teach piano to supplement our income so I could stay at home when we had kids.

I think it's good for young students to read about what people are doing later in life.

Edited By Stretto on 1145486393
Stretto

Postby 108-1121887355 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:31 pm

Minor Key - all are always welcome - it doesn't matter the exact site!

LK - Starting with your five year old is great. It is the way I began. You do not have to be a "concert pianist' to be able to teach. I do not know how you do all you do with 'almost' 4 children under five years. You can begin teaching and continue your music studies. I hope you have a good baby sitter or stay-at-home helpful husband!

Have you considered rote teaching? Especially good for the five year old.
108-1121887355

Postby LK123 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:23 am

Thanks Joan,

What exactly is "rote" teaching? It is not a term I am familiar with.

LK
LK123

Postby 108-1121887355 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:15 pm

There are some old posts on this site and I am trying to finish an article on "Rote to Note".

Quickly, it is teaching without reading from the printed page at first. Sing and play, teaching names of notes on the keyboard; playing in all keys; using both hands, one at a time first; putting in harmony with I and V7 chords.
You could show your five year old how the piano is made up of two black note and three black note pattern. Find E just up from the 2 black notes, D in the middle and C down. Find up and down the keyboard. Try "Hot Cross Buns", naming fingers, not notes (so can transpose easily) 321 etc. and sing. Try left hand, note finger change. Often have child draw his hands and put in finger numbers first. Then try beginning on another note - you can tell how his ear can or cannot hear where any black notes are needed.Try it on the 3 black notes.

Hopefully my article will give you more information. I began teaching this way 40 years ago, and begin children and adults alike, and it works!

Joan :D
108-1121887355

Next

Return to Young Students