Piano exams ... grades - Who does piano exams?ameb,royal conser,

Like to talk with other young piano students? This is the place!

Postby Tarnia » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:53 pm

Well, I get REALLY bad performance nerves...my teacher has suggested I might even want to try valium or something (I'm really susceptible though...I'd be asleep at the piano :p ) and one audition examiner suggested I try eating bananas as they are full of b vitamins, which are supposed to have a calming effect :D

Anyways, this year I wasn't quite as bad. My performance nerves tend to hit right as I sit down, and hit as REALLY cold, stiff hands...it's awful! So while waiting I try and relax, maybe meditate (yes I am one of those :p ) or usually just read a book, DO NOT go over my music (or try not to), keep my hands warm and dry. I know a little sign language so sometimes I go through the alphabet a few times to keep my hands moving and warm. I know, I am "special"... :;):

I have a Steinway grand piano (or my parents do actually), so I usually find it quite a change to the RCM pianos, which are usually yamahas. It is usually easier now that I bought myself a small digital as well, for when I was at Uni...I can practice on that, it doesn't have as stiff/heavy a pedal or as heavy an action. I don't remember this happening before, but this year the examiner offered me a chance to TRY THE PIANO before my exam actually started!!!! I was so shocked...still didn't do very well, but I REALLY appreciated that! Usually I do scales first and use them as the testing ground for what weight I need. Maybe this is just a gr. 10 thing???

Um can't think of any other general comments that would interest ppl-maybe I'll come up with more later :p
Tarnia

Postby Tranquillo » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:59 pm

hahaha ... me too my examiner actually let me try the piano this time round ... I played a scale ... played it really well but when it was real exam time I stuffed up the scale really really horibbly!
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby Tranquillo » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:03 pm

As far as playing on a strange piano I played on a yamaha upright. It was in a small room with a hard floor so you can play forte so well but piano and pianissimo was tricky!
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby 112-1182392787 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:41 pm

Tarnia (anyone), would you know of any resources regarding hybrid meter? It's now in the advanced rudimentary RCM exam. I can't get enough sense of it to be sure about handling rests: when to use one 1/4 vs. two 1/8 etc. because of the way the meter runs. I do the exam in 2 weeks. Thx in advance.
112-1182392787

Postby Tarnia » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:33 am

This was drilled into me like you wouldn't believe, Pianissimo. I will go back through my books and mark relevant pages, and if I have time I'll do I writeup-granted I did rudiments years ago but I think I still remember. ;) Do you want me to PM you or reply on here?
Tarnia

Postby 112-1182392787 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:56 pm

PM would be fine unless it's of general use to others. I'd like to make sure I made it clear, however: I am talking about hybrid meter: 5/8, 7/16, 10/8, also known as "odd meter". The RCM only added it last year, and it was not in the advanced rudiments back when you took it. I was surprised that 9/8 or 9/16 is not always compound time, it can be 2 + 2 + 2 + 3 "odd meter" in things like Balkan music. Thanks, by the way. Your offer is appreciated a LOT.
112-1182392787

Postby Tarnia » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:33 pm

Ah I did misread your post; my apologies. However I will be seeing my teacher today and I will check at home for anything that might help you.

As a general comment, 'odd' or 'hybrid' meter is made up of simple and compound time. For example, 5/4 time contains one simple beat (the half note, or 2/4 count) and the compound beat (the dotted half, or 3/4 beat). Therefore, my first step in analysing hybrid meter is to divide up the beats-eg in 5/4 is it 2/4,3/4 or 3/4, 2/4?

Once I have done that, I can start to look at the rests. I do NOT want a rest to cross over the division of beats (e.g. if I have decided it is 2/4,3/4 then I cannot put a 3-beat rest in the first half of the bar). So I analyze the first 'count' as if it WERE a 2/4 or simple bar, and similarly the second count as if it were 3/4 or compound bar.

Edited By Tarnia on 1195948044
Tarnia

Postby 112-1182392787 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:23 pm

As a general comment, 'odd' or 'hybrid' meter is made up of simple and compound time.
That is the first mistake I made. I actually I've made some progress on the subject after I wrote. I was looking for some written material to supplement my knowledge. Have you actually tried to tap out the beats, or did you stay with theory? This is where I started to understand. How do I explain this?

Say you have triple simple or triple compound. You have three beats to a bar. 3/4, if you have 2 8ths, then those two fit inside the first beat. 9/8, you'll have triplets, and if your beat is the same tempo, then 3 8ths fit inside the first beat, and they're "faster". The pulse speeds up but the beat stays the same.

Odd meter is not like simple and compound. If you have 5/8, so 2 + 3, the "pulses" of the 3 don't speed up to fit inside the beat. Your pulses stay the same, but your beat stretches out. You'll have a long beat and a shorter beat. It's in rhythmic dance music, Balkan music, modern music, sort of like the daa-dit/daa-dit. I know I can't cross over the beats with my rests, but I wasn't sure of what to inside the beat, because that depended on whether the "3" was handled like compound, or if the pulses had a different kind of weight. I don't know if that makes sense.

I found this on-line A Dictionary of Exotic Rhythms I don't care for the first page that looks like algebra. But the second page has every possible combination with examples in music. I've been having fun tapping the pulses with my right hand, and the beats with my left. I think I'm starting understand modern and "different" music for the first time.

..... Oh, OT, I just read what you wrote about sign language. Is it hard to learn?
112-1182392787

Postby 112-1182392787 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:31 pm

Oh wait, you're saying the same thing.
if I have decided it is 2/4,3/4
because 3/4 is not compound, is triple simple. There are a few different rules about rests with compound time than for simple time because of the way pulses flow evenly in compound time. I think I get it.
112-1182392787

Postby Tarnia » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:50 pm

If you are happy, then ignore this post ;)

However, I think this site somewhat clarifies what I was trying to say:
http://www.8notes.com/school/theory/odd_meter.asp
Tarnia

Postby 112-1182392787 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:25 pm

Thank you for the link, Tarnia. It is an excellent site.

Edited By pianissimo on 1196310580
112-1182392787

Postby pianorules » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:41 am

Becibu wrote:I am a piano student in Australia exams here are taken by many students. Many students do grades. Just wondering if anybody does do piano exams if so, which board? Oh and if you dont mind stating which county - (I heard that exams arent real big in other countries)

(Trinity College London (TCL)
Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (ABRSM)
Australia Music Examination Board (AMEB)
Australia New Zealand Cultral Arts (ANZCA)...
Royal Conservatory of Music Canada (RCM)
etc)

I do AMEB exams and live in Australia :;):

hey there,

hows it going. Just letting u know i do sit exams. I sit them with the AMEB. I didn't know about the AMEB going up to the 7th grade with theory. I thought it was the 8th.

Why does the AMEB only go up to the 7th grade with theory exams?

Cheers Liv
Olivia Nicole Davis
pianorules

Postby Tranquillo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:39 am

AMEB goes up to grade 8 theory and there are further grades that are diploma level. I have also sat Trinity Guildhall Exams.

Edited By Becibu on 1231231212
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Previous

Return to Young Students