Do you enjoy music in school? - How many children enjoy general music

Like to talk with other young piano students? This is the place!

Postby 108-1121887355 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:31 pm

It is discouraging to find that many of my piano students, who enjoy music, do not enjoy music in school. I wonder why some teachers cannot make it fun and interesting.

How many of you enjoy music in school and why? If you do and if you don't, tell us why.
108-1121887355

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:13 am

Based on the experience of my daughter and another family member who taught in public schools, plus 30 years of teaching Music Education majors, my guess would be that it's because teachers are overworked and distracted beings, weighed down with ridiculous, nit-picking rules and paperwork, and denied the time and resources to be creative and imaginative about every facet of their jobs. Add to this the fact that few general school teachers happen to have any kind of significant background and training in music.

Of course there are professional music teachers for band, chorus and orchestra, and also music teachers who make the rounds of area schools for regularly scheduled visits, but they all have to deal with large groups rather than individuals, and the facilities and resources available to them can often be quite meager.

Dr. Bill L.
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby 108-1121887355 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:29 am

I was thinking mainly of the music teachers, who may go from school to school, who work with elementary students. Even if they are hindered by some school policies, can't they still bring the joy of music to their students? Isn't that why they became music teachers? ???
108-1121887355

Postby Stretto » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:11 pm

My 7 yr. old seems to enjoy music class in school. She has been really excited about the productions their class has put on. Each grade puts on a separate production with each grade's production scheduled at different times throughout the year. The grade whose turn it is puts on their play during the school day for all the students in the school and then again at night for the parents. The kids all appear to be really enjoying it while performing.

One of my piano students when in 6th grade said in music class in school, they were studying the historic periods as it relates to music and I was really impressed to hear that! Other students brag to me how easy it is when they are learning some basic theory elements in music at school because they "know all the answers already" from having learned them in piano lessons. Also, they seem to like the fact that they can raise their hand and know the answer already in class. When I first started teaching piano, my first student invited me to attend her elementary school music production and was so excited that I came. The same student's music teacher at school let the kids who played instruments or sang perform in class from time to time.

When I went to the one elementary school production about 10 years ago or so, I was suprised that they were not singing any familiar songs either "oldies" or more recent that the mainstream public would recognize. It was all new music that I had never heard of or most people if not all would not recognize. At my daughters school, they have done familiar stories for plays (Peter Rabbit and The Three Little Pigs) but still with all new songs. I am happy to hear they have done some "old tunes" in class that were sung in music class when I was in school too. :)

I am curious as to whether students like the songs they are currently learning in elementary school music classes today.

Anyone who has been an elementary school student not too long ago that can fill us in on what kinds of things you did. What was good about it? What you would have changed about it?
Stretto

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:20 pm

Many teachers do indeed bring fun and joy to their elementary students, and in fact a number of my own students have done just that.

When Loveapiano stated that "many of my piano students....do not enjoy music in school", I just thought to point out some of the obstacles that often stand in the way of the fine and dedicated teachers who do their best. I was complaining about the system, not the teachers.

Bill L.
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby 108-1121887355 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:50 pm

Fully understood, Dr. L. I was just interested in how other students felt. I do get some good feedback and attend many concerts at schools with my grandchildren and my students. It seems to me that it is not as creative as I would like to see, and not a lot of smiles from the students, but I was really coming from my students' comments.
108-1121887355

Postby Tranquillo » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:19 am

I like music in school!
I is very different to music in private lessons. The added advantage in school is performance in an ensemble and playing on other instruments. Jamming in a band can be soo much fun!
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Return to Young Students