Location, location - Where do you practice?

Like to talk with other young piano students? This is the place!

Postby 73-1078374881 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:27 am

I thought it'd be fun to find out where y'all practice: in the living room? Basement? A church or other public building? Outdoors? (unlikely, but you never know! :O ) What kind of a piano do you practice on? What do you like/dislike about it? And what do you like/dislike about your practice location and how do you deal with it?
73-1078374881

Postby 73-1078374881 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:45 am

I suppose I could answer my own question... :p I practice, of all places, in an espresso stand! (in case you live in a part of the world where they don't exist, an espresso stand is a little building that people drive up to and order a mocha or latte, etc.) My parents own it, and I work there about 6 hours a day. In the slow hours, I pull out the violin and practice, and get this!- I work at probably the only stand in the U.S. that has a piano in it!! :laugh: The piano is an Acrosonic, and I really don't have any complaints about the way it plays... Problems about playing in the stand: whenever a customer drives up, I have to drop everything and serve them. Sometimes I'm soooo into the music, I don't notice when someone drives up! Good things about practicing at the stand: it has good acoustics, and since I'm there during the morning, I can practice before my brain is all fried at the end of the day! Sometimes the customers ask me to play something for them, so it makes me always have a little piece prepared. :;):
73-1078374881

Postby 81-1074658942 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:12 pm

I practice on a Kohler and Campbell upright piano in a medium size room with a nine foot ceiling, wallpaper, and two doors. My point? acoustics. What acoustics? exactly. occasionally when I sing my voice bounces off of the piano, but that's about it. My piano is decent, the tone isn't bad, but it has a very light touch. I don't know... It's just not as responsive as a grand. Of course I'd be a crazy person if I expected it to be. It's an upright for pity's sake! Anyway... someday I will own a grand piano. That is not fifty years old. And it will just be good all around.

Edited By Quidam on 1079756092
81-1074658942

Postby 73-1078374881 » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:54 am

Yesterday I was riding the city bus to my lesson, when the driver stopped and announced that we weren't going anywhere for half an hour. So.... since the bus was empty, I took out the violin and practiced!!! (and if the bus hadn't been empty, it soon would have been. :laugh: ). Where is the weirdest place you have practiced? Do you ever play air piano?
73-1078374881

Postby 81-1074658942 » Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:34 pm

YES! all the time! Sometimes I just trill on the table though.

The other day, I was in chemistry class, trilling on my book. My teacher, who plays the organ, start "playing" hymns on his desk. I started guessing his songs, and we kind of made a game out of it. Quite amusing actually.
81-1074658942

Postby Mins Music » Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:47 pm

IPlayTheViolinSoThere wrote:Yesterday I was riding the city bus to my lesson, when the driver stopped and announced that we weren't going anywhere for half an hour. So.... since the bus was empty, I took out the violin and practiced!!! (and if the bus hadn't been empty, it soon would have been. :laugh: ). Where is the weirdest place you have practiced? Do you ever play air piano?

Way to go Violinist! What were people's reactions?

I wouldn't call it 'practise' but if I see a keyboard and I'm a allowed to play it, I can't resist! I've played in restaurants (where I've gone for a meal either with hubby or friends), second hand stores and antique places - which have drawn a crowd so the proprietor approves :D.
One of my most unusual experiences was at the historical ruins of Port Arthur in Tasmania - it was a convict colony: absolutely beautiful surroundings and astonishing 'building's. In their old church (the one that didn't burn down) was the old pump the pedal organ. There was also some very old music. So I sat down and played (hubby left me to it, he knows how long my 'preoccupation' can last!). Soon, a crowd had gathered, sitting in the 'pews' listening intently. I hadn't even realised until they began asking for requests!

Many years ago, my mother and I were waiting for my father at an airport. The plane was late, so to keep myself (and my mother) amused, I sung the second half of 'Jesus Christ Superstar,' - all parts, complete with actions. I was 17 then. Not a very shy person, and hadn't learnt about personal inhibitions!

If with children, I sing on public transport with them. I get a few "I can't believe she's doing that" looks, but mostly just smiles. And the kids don't mind. My husband and mother are used to my public singing (some of my teachers were used to me singing in class!) but friends sometimes get embarrassed if I'm singing away to myself in a public place. Most of the time I don't even realise I'm doing it. If it really embarrasses them, I try to stop. 'Try' being the operative word!
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Postby 81-1074658942 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:48 pm

O gosh I love to sing! It's so fun. And I do sing all of the time, but not usually when people are around. I don't even know that many people that sing the way that I do anyway.

hey mins, you'll flip over this site. www.repertoireonline.com
free vocal music. And a good bit of it. I have recently discovered that singing opera is incredibly fun! :D :laugh: Just downloaded Caro Nome from Rigoletto. And it's so fun to sing songs that you've heard on CDs. Random Celtic music and stuff from the lord of the rings soundtracks are really fun. :laugh: There is a baby grand at my church and it's in the auditorium which has wonderful acoustics! whenever I go for wednesday night Bible study I go and play . and Then I sing. It's just the coolest thing really.

Yes I basically attack every keyboard I see no matter where it is. I'm always thinking "It they get mad I'll just grovel and apologize and run away grinning"
81-1074658942

Postby Chris X » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:49 pm

I usually practice in the practice rooms at school. I find that I am able to focus better when I go to school to practice.
Lots and lots of dotted rhythm practice
Chris X

Postby 114-1078657089 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:19 am

I used to live in student accommodation, which had a Yamaha upright (one of the higher-end models, dunno which one) in the dining room. It made living with 50 other screaming kids bearable ;)

Right now I'm sneaking in to the music faculty's practice rooms a couple of times a week. And playing the synthesizer at church every now and then. And walking into Allans Music and mucking around on various pianos trying out pieces that are way too difficult for me.

Oh, and I don't even sing in the shower...it's that bad :) I do whistle a lot though. And air-piano.
114-1078657089

Postby 81-1074658942 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:08 pm

Practice rooms... they're just the best. But you HAVE to have a watch if you're going to go that route. Otherwise you'll be like me and play for an hour and think it's been about fifteen minutes. LOL
81-1074658942

Postby presto » Fri May 07, 2004 4:56 pm

Quidam wrote:But you HAVE to have a watch if you're going to go that route. Otherwise you'll be like me and play for an hour and think it's been about fifteen minutes. LOL

Lol, indeed! How many times have I sat down to practice (I practice in my room at home; I don't use a practice room.), told myself I would only do this for about a half hour, then discovered, after being absorbed in the music, that my preoccupation caused me not to notice the two hours that flew by! It amazes me every single time; time really does fly when I'm having fun practicing piano.
88 keys--
10 fingers--
No problem!
presto

Postby 80-1091265929 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:57 am

Before, I had a piano in my bedroom, standing 4 ft. high baldwin, but I would usually only feel like playing it at night to practice when their is nothing else to do, but that was an issue since my bedroom is right under my parents, so it hardly got played, the parents were pushy and moved it out, i rediscovered the joy of piano a year later and all I really have to resort to is a primitive keyboard, but when I want to play something real(real definitely feel's better than digital), theres the high school choir room, but i seem to catch them when their practicing or just chit chatting, so its not really comfortable... so it downstairs in the family here
80-1091265929

Postby 81-1074658942 » Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:55 pm

I know how you feel with wanting to practice late at night! My piano s right under my brother's room and he's a really light sleeper that goes to bed at a sane time. I don't. I wish I could play late, but o well. I suppose I'll live.
81-1074658942

Postby presto » Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:28 pm

Lol, well, you know, nothing's better than a real piano, but this is where a keyboard with your headphones plugged in comes in handy! :;):
88 keys--
10 fingers--
No problem!
presto

Postby Tranquillo » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:29 am

At home like many other people...
I was talking to a friend wanting to buy a guitar the other week and he was astounded that you are allowed the play the insturments before buying. He turned to me and asked me why I didnt practice in the store everyday than buying the piano... ???
ahahahaha found I that funny ...
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Return to Young Students