What would kids like to gain from lessons? - Goals, dreams, wishes from kids in piano

Like to talk with other young piano students? This is the place!

Postby Stretto » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:35 pm

I usually ask on a questionare I give to new students, "why do you want to learn to play the piano?" For example, to be able to play for your own enjoyment?, to perform? other?

Most write to play for fun and to perform. This is valuable to me to know as some kids I would guess would be timid or "scared" to perform will write that they would like to perform but wouldn't tell me this otherwise.

What do others of you think kids or young people would like to gain most from learning to play the piano? If you teach, what are some of your students' goals, dreams, wishes related to playing the piano? If you are a young student, what things do you like most about being able to play the piano? What do you do or would you like to be able to do with your piano skills? Parents, what do your kids like most about playing the piano?

:)

Edited By Stretto on 1145126237
Stretto

Postby 76-1144948098 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:38 pm

What an awesome Idea - a questionaire for new students! I'll have to try that. Anyway, I want to teach. At the beginning my motivation was zero, my parents made me, but I'm glad they did, now I want to, I love it, I would love to perform too. We'll see what happens. :D
76-1144948098

Postby 108-1121887355 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:38 am

I gave my students a short questionaire at the beginning of the year and just devised another short one. My 8 year old granddaughter, when asked what she loked best about piano, wrote, "The treble and the bass"! She also said she wanted to play the piano, -"for fun" and as to what she wanted to do with her skills - "perform them"! Her goals - "That I will play piano famously." Some filled them out here and some took home. I will keep you posted.

One decerning young lady asked me if the goals and dreams were just for piano - I said no. Need to learn about the whole person.

Fun

Joan
108-1121887355

Postby Stretto » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:53 am

What kinds of questions do others of you who teach write on a questionarre to kids? Or what kinds of questions do you ask kids in an interview or at the first lesson?

Or if you are a student, do you have any suggestions for good questions on a questionarre?
__
Loveapiano, you had a good point about goals and dreams in general of each individual student, not just piano. I like to encourage students in whatever their pursuits. I had a student in dance and another in voice also and I tried to give them music and information that would enhance the learning in those other things or just encourage them and show interest. My very first student, when she was 7 invited me to an elementary school performance to see her and I went. I've had a couple students who would try out a lot for parts in different plays or musicals in town so I try to encourage them to keep trying and not give up. Then my student who is in dance invited me to a recital that I went to. The one in dance, I also tried to give her some information about different dances in music. (She said her class never talks about the 'behind the scenes' of the music they are dancing to, they just turn on the music and dance.) She said if she went into dance in college, she found out one has to dance to a live pianist so learning about corresponding piano pieces would probably give her a boost in college. Both of the students I mentioned got up to about level 5 in the methods and got up into high school, got super busy and quit piano but the one has done a national competition now in dance and the other is in theatre in high school, I think the piano lessons have helped them in these other areas. At the dance recital, I noticed my student was one of the better one's at keeping in time to the music - I'd like to think being in piano had something to do with it! The other student plays the piano still on her own and is able to play a lot of her voice parts or accompany herself. I hope they keep piano playing as part of their lives long-term but I'm more pleased to see a student eventually choose one or two areas of interest and concentrate on those rather than being spread too thin in too many activities even if it means giving up piano lessons.

Sometimes if I have a student who I know is spread really thin in a lot of activities, I like to give them my little "talk" about the importance of eventually discovering the one or two things they like the most and concentrating on those. I've had some student quit lessons to concentrate more on another interest but am most pleased to learn they are heavily pursuing what they wanted and I feel I had a part in encouraging them toward following those goals and dreams. Some former students who did quit piano to concentrate more on other things now: one is a doctor - wishing to eventually go into brain surgery, the one in theatre in high school, the one in dance, one taken up the saxaphone, and one playing the drums (the sax player and the drum player really wanted those instruments to begin with, their parents wanted them to take piano first so I'm pleased to know they were able and allowed to go ahead with what they wanted).

Edited By Stretto on 1146247410
Stretto

Return to Young Students