Competing - Atmosphere,nature,associating,stories..

Like to talk with other young piano students? This is the place!

Postby Tranquillo » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:25 am

Competition is a strange area to get into. Many including myself get mixed feelings about them. Still I compete from time to time.

I wonder when you wait for your turn, perform, walk off what do you do? ... I'll give my little anecdotes after I heard a few from others ...
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby Tranquillo » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:01 pm

Do any teachers enter competitions (not local ones, but the more advanced ones for states)? How about teachers that enter students? It would be interesting to gain insights of the population of competition students...
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby pianorules » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:33 am

Becibu wrote:Competition is a strange area to get into. Many including myself get mixed feelings about them. Still I compete from time to time.

I wonder when you wait for your turn, perform, walk off what do you do? ... I'll give my little anecdotes after I heard a few from others ...

What do u mean competing is a strange area to get into?

I don't compete too often though i try to compete as much as i can.

The joondalup eisteddfod is the only competition that i have been in which ties in with the AMEB syllabus.

The Atmosphere is quite good as you are performing as well as competing and the MC is pretty funney 2.

Even though the adjucators change nearly every time i am there they are always stressing on the importance of interepreting how the music should sound like eg. Sugar Plum Fairy- should sound like a fairy or they always stress the importance of performing from memory. On the report given they give encouraging remarks on how u played then say what u should improve on.

What about u?

Now talking about performing. When i perform in this competition i walk up in front of the piano take a bow then i wait 4 a few mins, play then bow once more then go sit down.

Generally speaking wwith performances i keep it fairly similar but may change slightly depenfing on the situation on hand.

What do u do?
Olivia Nicole Davis
pianorules

Postby Tranquillo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:02 am

What do u mean competing is a strange area to get into?

I don't compete too often though i try to compete as much as i can.

Competing at in its most elementry levels can awkard ... I mean this is in an atmospheric point of view. It is very quite before competing occurs, competitors keep to themselves and there is this surrounding of parents that tend to be overbearing. There is not much interaction between people competiting this attributes to much of the tension. However, the feedback and system of reporting can make the experience worthwhile, depending on the adjudicator, the feedback can be uplifting and truly helpful.

The Atmosphere is quite good as you are performing as well as competing and the MC is pretty funney 2.
This is a fortunate situation, many times especially in classical competitions there is much tension and again awkardness.

Now talking about performing. When i perform in this competition i walk up in front of the piano take a bow then i wait 4 a few mins, play then bow once more then go sit down.

Generally speaking wwith performances i keep it fairly similar but may change slightly depenfing on the situation on hand

Your statement is relatively straightforward to performance. I was more interested in the before and after performance antics.

I'll give you my 2 cents. I was in one competition as a singer and I decided to have a little chat to a little girl that was competing, I could tell she was competing due to her being all dressed up. I was in the older aged section but I thought I should talk to her ... just to be friendly. I was all dressed up in this white medieval dress, my friends in the bathroom assured me that I look and sound fine. Anyways she watched me go through this phase and stared at me for a bit (probably cause I was a little more dressed that most competitors). I turned to her and calmly said "so are you singing? What sections are you in?" She probably thought I was out to sabotage her she said a few words to me and then walked away!

:p
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Return to Young Students