What to do with heavy left hand?

Like to talk with other young piano students? This is the place!

Postby fricassee » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:37 am

I need to play a piece with a lighter touch to my left hand, but when I try to do that, my right hand also becomes lighter. Is there any excercise that will help me play less heavy with my left hand, but maintain my right hand playing as is? :(
fricassee

Postby pianogal » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:07 pm

Great question! I'm sure so many people are having the same trouble.
I don't remember how I overcame this problem but one way you can try is to practice separately (l.h alone then r.h. alone), it kind of builds your muscle memory for the softness of the left hand.
Another way, try to sing out in your mind only the right hand melody, (go slowly), your mind will focus on the r.h , thus plays it louder.
Whenever I play, I always have the melody in mind, i hardly hear (or "care") about my left hand.
BRING-OUT-THE-MELODY !!! :laugh:
I really hope this is helpful
Don't ever give up piano, because you will like it someday
pianogal

Postby fricassee » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:22 pm

thank you for the reply, pianogal! Actually, I am not the one having the problem, it's my son. But since I posted it in the 'young students' section of the forum, I thought I should just post it in the first person.

I love your suggestion, I will tell him and use try it out when he practices tomorrow. Thanks again!
fricassee

Postby Tranquillo » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:58 am

Well, heres what I was thinking. Seperatley is often what teachers would say .. slow and separate ... but its the application of it hands together wish then makes it a challenge.

Well, practicing slowly and separatley would help for starters. I think then the application should really be slow and separate. Part of this contribution could be technical is your son aware of articulating his fingers and raising them for accents? Knowing to raise fingers would assist the proccess.

I think another thing that would help would be perhaps playing a phrase note-for-note after every note think - was the left soft? and the right loud? This is just an idea, kinda like a lead in idea ... I've tried note-for-note at times and it works for me but not for everyone.

Martha Beth has an excellent article

http://www.serve.com/marbeth/fortevspiano.html

Hopefully that would help.

Cheers

Edited By Becibu on 1206950316
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby fricassee » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:32 am

Thanks for the suggestions, Becibu! He does play the hands separately and does well at that. He can control the left hand totally. When he plays them together is the problem; I will have him try 2 or 3 measures together at a time, slowly and carefully, and see if this helps him better. I will also suggest that he concentrate on the melody and see if combined, those methods work. I played the piece myself, and tried to figure out what is happening in my head as I play, and as Pianogal mentioned, the melody is the primary focus in my mind, thus helping the left hand play more lightly.

Thanks for all the help guys! I will let you know what happens after he tries these methods in a couple of practice sessions!
fricassee

Return to Young Students