Music teacher - What do u have to do?

Like to talk with other young piano students? This is the place!

Postby 112-1156457400 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:24 am

hey all
just wondering... what do i have to do (courses etc...) in becoming a music teacher?? i am in yr 9 at high school. what is involved in becoming a music teacher?? i play piano and sing (sort of...am learning both) as well as wanting to learn a number of other instruments.. is it hard work? how many yrs will it take??
112-1156457400

Postby InspiredPianist » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:15 pm

hi there!

I am not anywhere close to having as much experience as any weathered-piano teacher (as I am in grade 8 and have a grand total of 1 student that I'm working with) but I do have some advice on this subject.

First of all, I think that becoming a piano teacher is a wonderful goal to work towards.

The one thing that is the most important above all is that you have a strong piano background. When beginning to teach, you don't want to be giving your students wrong or incorrect instrutction (i.e. hand position, wrist movement, fingering, etc.) that takes a ton of work to fix later on in their education.

Also, when getting your first students, you need to be aware of their own individual strengths and weaknesses. It's not good to overlook something or to keep all the students going on the same pace without stopping to help one of them out.

The last thing I could offer here is that theory is critical in the learning process. Knowing how to read or interpret music on a staff is very important. The boy that I'm teaching is an plays by ear extremely well but has no theory knowledge. Because of this, his fingering needs major improvement and he struggles to read any piece of music I set in front of him.

In the end, this goal takes a lot of work to get to but is very rewarding in the end. When my student played his first song while I played the accompaniment, I felt extremely accomplished and very proud of him. All I can say is good luck and may God bless!
InspiredPianist

Postby Tranquillo » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:37 pm

I am not a teacher either but I do have private / school teacher friends ... the qualifications vary and differ in areas of the world ...
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby keithmusic » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:19 pm

Being a piano teacher myself, there are a few key ingredients to being a successful teacher. These are: a desire to learn (how to teach from an existing teacher), a desire to teach, an ability to explain musical ideas so any student can understand, a feel for playing in the different classical style periods (5 total), the ability to explain piano technique and how to solve technical problems at the piano, an ability to inspire the student with your love of music and keep them organized so they progress. Also to know your chosen method series well.

Keith

Edited By Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor on 1201272600
Keith Phillips
keithmusic

Return to Young Students