Rotating wrists

Like to talk with other young piano students? This is the place!

Postby InspiredPianist » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:24 am

Wrists, wrists, wrists. I strongly dislike my wrists at times. If they aren't loose, you get all tight and have the urge to "shake it off". If they're too loose, you can't get to the next note in time. What is it about wrists and why are they so difficult to cooperate with?

The method my teacher suggests to loosen the wrist while rotating is the "Boomerang Effect". You sit on the bench, put the hand you have trouble with on the keys, and begin treating your hand like a boomerang! Your pinky, or whatever finger you're rotating on, acts like the pivet that the weight of your hand always "flings", "jumps", or "leans" back into. I find this method very helpful.

Does anyone else seem to have this problem? If so, what methods do you use to help overcome these problems?
InspiredPianist

Postby Stretto » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:55 am

I never thought about the "boomerang" idea but I do like to hear other's ideas.

I've had a lot of trouble over the years because I thought a lot since beginning lessons of "fixed" or "exact" positions. If someone said, "keep your wrists straight", or "keep your fingers or hands shaped this way", or "sit with 'straight' posture", or "move your wrists in this certain way", then I would say to myself, "oh my goodness, oh my goodness, I have to be careful to keep this exact certain position!". I was the type to try very hard to do "exactly" as I was suppose to. When you're trying so hard to be exact, talk about tension!

That developed into a habit of tense wrists/ arms while playing.

I've found most helpful now to think more in terms of relaxed, loose shoulders and forearms and that seems to automatically carry on down to relaxed wrists and hands. I do think about what my fingers are doing but at the same time make sure I'm not unknowingly tensing up in my shoulders and forearms. I ask myself where the tension for me seems to want to start. Sort of like gripping the handle bars on a roller coaster ride. Pretend your doing that and ask yourself where the tension is originating from.

For me it seems relaxed shoulders and arms = relaxed wrists and hands.

Also convincing myself in a passage, "I CAN do this", helps. If I start saying to myself, "oh no, how am I ever going to be able to get this!", it psyches me out and everything starts tensing up. I'm sure we've all been there. :)

My explanation probably isn't quite exactly what you're talking about but without relaxed shoulders and arms, I don't see how it's possible to get anywhere with the wrists. What do others think, agree or disagree?

Edited By Stretto on 1172435006
Stretto

Postby Tranquillo » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:24 am

From time to time my wrists hurt because of over practicing or cold weather but looseness doesnt always happen with me. The boomerang effect sounds interesting ... should I try it in pain?
As far as confidence and relaxing the shoulder I cant agree with you more Stretto. Shoulder too cause the body to be tense and the wrists arent free! SO TRUE!
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Return to Young Students