Wanting a career in music. - Advice for young students.

Like to talk with other young piano students? This is the place!

Postby celia » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:02 am

Becibu, thanks so much for all that info. I actually had a look on Google straight away as I really liked the sound of it, and I think it's really something i am keen to look into further... I felt quite emotional that you mentioned Parkinson's disease because my Dad suffers from this, it is a horrible illness. I do play guitar as well as piano, funny the kids at work were going a bit loopy this morning and when I played them some classical guitar they all laid down on cushions and closed their eyes (I didn't tell them to!!) I was actually a bit surprised, but maybe something about their internal rhythm or whatever!! Thing is about music therapy, I would most definitely need to work while training, not sure if this is possible, also I'm really not sure if I am a good enough musician!! But thanks so much, you have really inspired me!! Celia
celia

Postby Tranquillo » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:13 am

celia wrote:Becibu, thanks so much for all that info. I actually had a look on Google straight away as I really liked the sound of it, and I think it's really something i am keen to look into further... I felt quite emotional that you mentioned Parkinson's disease because my Dad suffers from this, it is a horrible illness. I do play guitar as well as piano, funny the kids at work were going a bit loopy this morning and when I played them some classical guitar they all laid down on cushions and closed their eyes (I didn't tell them to!!) I was actually a bit surprised, but maybe something about their internal rhythm or whatever!! Thing is about music therapy, I would most definitely need to work while training, not sure if this is possible, also I'm really not sure if I am a good enough musician!! But thanks so much, you have really inspired me!! Celia

I don't know if it works in NZ, but some people do university part time whist obtaining their degree, others do university evening courses and some university offer correspondence course. In Australia a person is recommended to have a grade 6-8 proficiency in their instrument, sounds like you already have that. You don't need to be super at all instruments but you should have a second instrument (and it sounds like you do). Sounds like you are on the road ... keep learning ... keep reading ... keep researching ... keep playing.

If there's a will there's a way! All the best to you Celia. Who knows we may both be music therapists one day!
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby celia » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:34 am

Thanks Becibu, I'll let you know how I get on with my research on this...
celia

Previous

Return to Young Students