Universtity - What to expect?

Like to talk with other young piano students? This is the place!

Postby 73-1078374881 » Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:43 am

Hello!
I'm a senior in high school and will be leaving in the fall to study music performance at University. Both of my parents were music majors, but not Performance, so I'm not quite sure what to expect. Any words of wisdom from ye universitied members?
73-1078374881

Postby 73-1078374881 » Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:46 am

Oh my gosh, I just realized I mistyped "University" as the subject. I em rilly not thet bad of a spellur. Onist!
73-1078374881

Postby Mins Music » Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:09 pm

Well if it's anything like my experience the first thing you learn is that you have to be VERY self disciplined. There's lots of distractions, new friends, parties, late nights. I have to confess to missing lectures and even some tutes - disgusted in myself now. I'm convinced I would be a MUCH beter student if I went now. I absolutely loved my days at Uni - I just wished I realised what an opportunity I had, and how soon it would end and put WHOLE SOULED effort into everything. My results included Distinctions and high distinctions, but a lot of it was based on the fact I have a very good short term memory. I remember 'cramming' for an exam where you had to identify over 30 works from the medieval period. (!) AND my boyfriend was staying with me that night. (He was studying at another Uni more than 8 hours away and was 'visiting' ). I wouldn't recommend doing things like this!
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Postby Mins Music » Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:15 pm

IPlayTheViolinSoThere wrote:Oh my gosh, I just realized I mistyped "University" as the subject. I em rilly not thet bad of a spellur. Onist!

The very first assignment I ever handed in was full of typing mistakes. I had procrastinated - as usual - and had run out of time to fix it (didn't have spell check back then - oh dear, now I'm showing my age, aren't I?) I thought to myself, It's uni - they don't care about things like that, they're interested in the content! Well it was the first and last time I ever failed something. 91/2 out of 20, with comments like, even though your content was very sound, I am refusing to pass this assignment blah blah, it is not acceptable to present blah blah... Boy, what an eye opener! :p
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Postby 81-1074658942 » Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:53 pm

I'm considering going in as a pedagogy major. I don't really know what to expect, but I think I'll be okay. I'm pretty disciplined [with music anyway]. I also basically teach myself a lot. I'm homeschooled, but I go to a tutor once a week. He, of course, explains everything, but basically I just figure "I have a book, I can learn." So that's how I do things.
81-1074658942

Postby 112-1093136018 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:40 pm

Hey, i'm homeschooled too!
my teacher actually is a univeristy professor, so i'm at the U a lot, so i sorta get to see what'll be like.
112-1093136018

Postby 73-1078374881 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:49 pm

HEY!!! GUESS WHAT!!! I'M ALIVE!!!!! :p One reason I haven't been on FOREVER is because... guess where I am!! University!

I'm loving University! The people here are awesome, the courses challenging... However, I have a problem. A BIG problem. But I have to run and do collegey things, so I'll write more on that later!
73-1078374881

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:51 am

Welcome back, IPTVST! Good to hear from you and great to learn that you are at college.

Are you majoring in music there? What university are you attending? :)
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Return to Young Students