Musical instrument - Why the piano?

Share your piano experiences with other adult students

Postby 65-1074818729 » Sun May 30, 2004 4:25 am

I am curious as to why most of the people using this site, initially choose the piano as an instrument to learn, rather than some other instrument.

1. Was it because there happened to be a piano in your house, and that was the only instrument readily available?

2. Was it because your parents started you on piano lessons when you were a small child?
I expect this would apply to many people.

3. Was it because this was your instrument of choice?

4. Did you hear a particular musician that impressed you?

5.Or was it some other reason completely?

For myself, I didn’t start lessons until late in life, so I was able to make my own choices. I chose the piano mainly because it has a very pleasing sound all of its own, which I have always enjoyed. This was my instrument of choice. The piano is also one of the most versatile instruments in existence and can be used in virtually all styles of music. I don’t remember being influenced by any particular musician, but have been known to tap my feet to Floyd Cramer back in the sixties and severties. The classics are more to my liking these days.

What were your reasons for choosing the piano?

:)
65-1074818729

Postby Mins Music » Sun May 30, 2004 7:13 pm

The piano chose me!!!

I always sang. Was in choirs from the earliest grades. Then it was the recorder. Then the organ. Then the flute. Then the clarinet.

When I was fifteen, my parents decided to buy me a piano!!!

Now it's by far my favourite instrument. (The violin is now becoming my second favourite.)

:laugh:

Edited By Mins Music on 1085966077
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Postby 81-1074658942 » Sun May 30, 2004 10:36 pm

I chose the piano because it was the only instrument really available to me. And starting something like a string instrument it very uncommon in our area as well. Most of the other kids in my class were starting piano lessons, and to be it seemed to be the only choice I had. I didn't really even think about any of the other instruments out there. And my parents didn't really because they are not musically inclined. But I guess all of those factors worked together pretty well, since I'm so completely in love with the piano now! :)
I also love to sing, and a lot of times I accompany myself. I have a good voice and I've been in a lot of choirs, but I've never had private voice lessons.
I'm VERy much in love with strings music. I could listen to it all day. There's just something about it that's really enthralling. Maybe it's because I can't play string instruments. It just sounds like magic to me... The instruments sing everything out in the most amazing way. I would love to learn the violin or the cello someday.
81-1074658942

Postby 65-1074818729 » Mon May 31, 2004 5:05 am

Quidam and Mins,

Interesting that you both enjoy the violin almost as much as the piano. I never really thought about it before, but if I was going to take up a second instrument, it would also be the violin.

Many years ago I heard an elderly gentleman play Amazing Grace on the violin at a concert, and I assure you there was not a dry eye in the house, mine included. :(

65-1074818729

Postby 76-1086020164 » Mon May 31, 2004 10:28 am

I have always wanted to play the piano since I was a child. I played the flute when I was younger but I was never allowed to take up the piano. I have had to wait along time for the opportunity to be able to play the piano and it was worth the wait - I LOVE IT :D
76-1086020164

Postby 65-1074818729 » Mon May 31, 2004 11:38 am

Lucia,

I noticed this is your first post at this forum.

Welcome aboard !!!

AFlat
65-1074818729

Postby Mins Music » Mon May 31, 2004 7:52 pm

Hey Lucia!! Welcome to the board! Did you start the piano as an adult?
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Postby 110-1089657553 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:47 am

1. Was it because there happened to be a piano in your house, and that was the only instrument readily available?

Yes, I suppose so. I was three years old when my parents got the piano (my brother was 8 and going to start piano lessons). It wasn't long before I was picking out the pieces my brother was learning, as well as the hymn melodies we sang in church ... so I guess the piano sort of chose me. :)

I begged for piano lessons, but no teacher would take such a young student, so I had to amuse myself with "sounding out" everything I could until I was six and my parents finally found a teacher for me.

"What were your reasons for choosing the piano?"

Also, I was never really exposed to other instruments; I did not come from a musical family, and my schools growing up did not even have a marching band. So I wasn't exactly encouraged in my love for music. I've played a little guitar and clarinet, but those instruments are like a foreign language to me. The piano seemed like a "natural language" to me from the start.
110-1089657553

Postby Piano Wannabe » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:24 pm

Why the piano? I wish I knew! All I know is that I seem to be driven to become a player. My wife doesn't understand it, nor do my friends. I don't even play well. I keep looking for a kindred spirit with whom I can share what I'm experiencing because I don't understand it.
I love the sound. I love the touch. I love to practice, and I have to wonder why, because I doubt that I'll ever read well enough to play naturally.
I started in January 2003 with a Radio Shack keyboard that I left on the piano setting. This spring I bought a Technics KN2600, which also stays on piano, and started taking lessons. In the studio I had to play a real piano and didn't handle the keys very well. So last month I bought a Baldwin Pianovielle PS2600 because it has a real acoustic keyboard.
See what I mean? This is running into money now and I can't stop.
I have taken lessons with a wonderful teacher, but cannot afford to take a lesson every week so I'm taking a month off to practice what he has taught me so far.
I spend an hour and fifteen minutes doing technique exercises each morning before work. (it took an hour and forty minutes when I started) and another hour or so after dinner trying to play in a book called "Classics to Moderns" by Denes Agay. It's tag line is "Forty very easy original keyboard pieces" I live for the day they become very easy to play.
And so it goes. Can't stop. Gotta play. Don't know why. Wish I knew but what difference does it make if it's what I have to do?
It's wonderful to have this forum for expressing my personal experience. I can't discuss it with my friends without their eyes glazing over or seeing that "yep, he's losing it" look.
I should really be playing.
Piano Wannabe

Postby 65-1074818729 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:44 pm

Piano Wannabe,

I can easily relate to everything you have said. I too get some strange looks from people when they find out I am taking piano lessons at age 60.

As a point of interest, when I started taking lessons some six years age, I went once a week. I found that it was too often. I needed more than one week to practice new work, so I changed to once every two weeks. (45 minute lesson). I find this works much better for me.

By the way, there is a good article on this web site regarding the issue of purchasing pianos, keyboards, etc. I have hyperlinked it and you may find it informative.
Purchasing and Caring for a Piano or Keyboard

Aflat

Edited By AFlat on 1092707234
65-1074818729

Postby Piano Wannabe » Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:23 am

A Flat,
It's good to hear from someone who understands.
I like your idea about taking a lesson every other week. My lessons are 40 minutes at a dollar a minute. I'll see if I can sign up for every other week. I really need the extra time between lessons.
Regarding the piano, I think I made a good choice. Although after I bought it my teacher told me he would have been happy to evaluate it for me and I wish I had done that.
The Baldwin PS 2600 has a full 88 key hammer-action Baldwin keyboard. It feels just like an acoustic keyboard but has all the electronics of a MIDI board. My teacher noticed the difference in my fingering after only two weeks and there is no keyboard adaptation time when I go for my lesson now.
Here is a quote from Alexander Peskanov (the Baldwin "Wizard") regarding the PS2600
My favorite digital piano is the Baldwin Pianovelle Model PS2600. In fact, I had a chance to explore this instrument while attending the recent NAMM Convention in Anaheim, CA. I loved it so much that in the next few weeks I expect it to be delivered to my studio.
Here is a link to it's description Baldwin PS2600
I read the article you referenced, which has very good advice. Anyone considering a purchase can get a good understanding of what to look for from reading this article. Much of it is echo'ed in a Peskanov article on the Baldwin site. It certainly substantiates what I've found while doing my own research.
I should really be playing.
Piano Wannabe

Postby Tranquillo » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:25 am

Its interesting to hear these comments, I had a kindergarten teacher play piano for us, we'd often sing along or lie down and listen to her play melodies. She was an excellent teacher!

That's what lead me to do piano, its funny talking to a guy in the same class as me after all these years tells me that he always wanted to learn piano because of the teacher that used to play it. Later in high school when I tried other instruments I decided that piano is the easiest and less physically demanding of them all. When I was growing up I admired pop stars that sang and played piano at the same time ...lead me to want to do the same since I was in a choir at the time.

I picked up piano when I was 8 taking and kept taking lessons .... when I turned fifteen I took singing privately lessons ... (I did it a great amount at school prior) ...

Anyways that is my story, its funny I know many people that take up lessons initially with piano but find its not their instrument. Then I know parents that are pianists that have their children pick up other instruments and vice versa. I guess it all depends on the person ... anyone else have any stories?
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Return to Adult Students