Best  midi-piano software for adult student?

Share your piano experiences with other adult students

Postby John G » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:40 am

I cut my teeth as a journalist writing about music and musicians for Rolling Stone 30 years ago, but not until now have I reached the point where I can indulge my life-long dream of learning piano. My goal: teach myself to play improv blues and to sight read well enough to play American standards fake books reasonably well.

I have the latest Mac system and will soon buy a digital 88-keyboard (debating whether to go for weighted or unweighted keys). Hiring a pvt. teacher from time to time definitely makes sense, however, I'm a motivated learner and feel I can do a lot on my own.

Question: Can anyone recommend the best MIDI-keyboard based learning software? Internet browsing so far has been less than conclusive, with eMedia's Piano & Keyboard method appearing the front runner.

Dr. Zeigler, your review and imprimatur of eMedia in these pages is helpful, but your reservations about the software's dated pedagogy and child-beginner tone give me pause.

Any suggestions much appreciated.
John G., Washington's North Olympic Peninsula
John G

Postby Tranquillo » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:11 pm

Hi John G, welcome to the forum!

Its great to hear that you are fulfilling your life long dream. I got to a technology based high school that uses Mac's all the time, being a music student I notice that the most used program is "Garage Band". I know students also use other programs but I have to check.

Sibelius is also another popular program.

Have you got a piano John?
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby John G » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:13 pm

Yes,Garage Band is a popular Mac program (comes with the OS), but it's not set up to teach keyboard w/ a MIDI interface, as far as I can tell.

I don't yet have a keyboard but my intention is to start out with a <88 key keyboard that's probably not weighted (a 2nd. hand Casio around $100 will do for starters) just to get familiar with fingering while reading notes on the staves. I will, however, want some kind of MIDI interface and a corresponding MIDI software program so I can take advantage of computer enhanced learning tools.

Does anyone have recommendations?

John
John G., Washington's North Olympic Peninsula
John G

Postby Tranquillo » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:07 pm

Ahhh I see, you want something set up to teach ...

Hrmm, I'll have a look around to see whats around in my school and then get back to you.
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Return to Adult Students