Play without glancing down at keys?

Share your piano experiences with other adult students

Postby 106-1106358643 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:51 am

I am a retired elementary teacher who is starting my 3rd year of piano lessons. I took piano for 5 years in grade school and then had 8 years of clarinet experience. I now play the piano without any help from the early 5 years. None of that helped me begin again with piano lessons.

I have uneven skills with some high level knowledge and some basic beginner level deficits. I know my treble clef notes very well, can sight read nicely, and understand rhythms with ease. However, I don't know the names of the bass clef despite knowing the usual egbdf, face, gbdfa, aceg methods. I play by looking at the written note and know where that note is on the piano without thinking about the note's name. Therefore, according to my piano teacher, I learned this without first learning the note names. I look up and down quite often to see where my fingers need to go on the keyboard. She says this causes me to struggle to find my place in the music again.

Is there a method of learning to play by feeling the black key combinations of 2black and 3black keys. How much looking up and down at the keyboard and my fingers should there be?
106-1106358643

Postby 106-1106358643 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:18 pm

I'm not getting much response here. Can I repost this question to another board with more readers?
106-1106358643

Postby 65-1074818729 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:43 pm

Hi joangolfing,

There are several well qualified and experienced teachers using this site, who respond to these questions quite regularly. Stay tuned. I'm sure one of them will respond in due course.

All the best. AFlat

PS: Disregard. Just realized you posted the same question in another area and got the help you were looking for.

Good Luck" AFlat

Edited By AFlat on 1106604868
65-1074818729

Return to Adult Students