Teacher disagreement - 2 weeks before my exam!

Share your piano experiences with other adult students

Postby 110-1079111554 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:38 am

Ursie, this first Diploma only consisted of 4 pieces worth a total of 80 marks and a sight reading piece worth 20 marks.
The minimum pass mark is 75% overall. I get to add "DipLCM" after my name if I pass.
The next Diploma (ALCM) has the viva voce, aural tests, scales etc as well as the pieces. I think the DipLCM is designed to break you in gently before you go head long into the full diploma. You can use the same four pieces in both Diplomas so it is a pretty good head start.
Interesting comments about post-exam blues. I do feel more than a little lost & abandoned! It is strange but I feel like my sense of direction has stopped, and it feels as though studying for my exams had become my meaning of life.
I have done nothing but practice and study for about the last 2 years, and after only 2 or 3 days rest I am already thinking "what next?".
110-1079111554

Postby 81-1074658942 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:28 pm

What next... Blech.. weirdly enough I know the feeling.

Could someone clarify the meaning of viva voce? From what I can tell it means live voice. Is this sight singing?
81-1074658942

Postby 110-1079111554 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:55 am

I have the result of my exam.
I must admit, it is exactly as I secretly expected. I was very nervous, my hands were shaking a little, and I simply could not allow the music to flow. My lack of confidence meant that I kept consciously adjusting and checking my playing. At this level the music just needs to breathe, the pianist should just be the medium for this spiritual connection. If you are unsure of your technique, or lacking in confidence, the music just becomes interrupted by your efforts to play correctly and you then make mistakes.
It was quite clear in the exam report that the examiner did not make any allowance for nerves - every mistake was recorded and commented on.
Anyway the result....................I passed, but only just!
75% was the pass mark, and I got 75%!
As I said earlier, I expected either to narrowly pass or narrowly fail. If I had achieved a higher mark then I would have not had any faith in the exam process - as I simply did not deserve anything better.
I have since spoken to my teacher, who has explained that a good deal of students fail this exam first time, and indeed those that pass usually only reach 75-80%. So I guess I did ok, and a pass is a pass!
Thank you to everyone who posted replies to my topic, your thoughts and messages of support helped enourmously.
110-1079111554

Postby Mins Music » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:36 pm

nic88fiddle wrote:So I guess I did ok, and a pass is a pass!

Yay!!! Congratulations nic! :laugh: :cool:
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Postby Ursie » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:20 am

Well done nic88fiddle - great to hear your good news! Now you can move on with confidence. Just wondering, did you play from memory?
Ursie

Postby Mins Music » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:48 pm

Hey Ursie! Congrats on being a SUPER member!
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Postby Ursie » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:29 am

Thanks Mins Music - now I get to pick an avatar :D Only thing is I want to upload one and I'm having trouble doing that. Never mind I'll figure it out eventually!
Ursie

Postby Mins Music » Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:04 pm

Hey nic88! What's the latest regarding your teacher status? Are you still keen to do your teaching diploma?
Mins Music

Postby Tranquillo » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:51 pm

Guest wrote:What next... Blech.. weirdly enough I know the feeling.

Could someone clarify the meaning of viva voce? From what I can tell it means live voice. Is this sight singing?

Viva Voce- yes means live voice. No it does not refer to sightsinging. It means that the examiner asks the candidate a range of questions. Basically an exam in interview form.
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Previous

Return to Adult Students