Music at university

Share your piano experiences with other adult students

Postby 69-1080625173 » Sat May 15, 2004 4:23 am

If I was going to audition to get into a music degree at university, what song (particular song or difficulty) should I play or be able to play? I don't know if the degrees vary much across the world, but I live in Australia if that helps.
69-1080625173

Postby Mins Music » Sat May 15, 2004 5:09 pm

Standards vary even here in Australia. Which uni did you have in mind EternalDragon? At the very minimum you will need to be up to grade six standard and offer two pieces of varying styles. You must also sit for an aural test, usually sight reading (I had to!) and an interview. A theory test is also required by some Unis(anything from Grade three to grade five standard).

Do you have a teacher Eternal Dragon?
What do you think is the most difficult piece you can play now?
You're in Year Twelve? So auditions will be happening only months away.
Are you taking music at school? I went to high school in Queensland, and year twelve theory work is about the equivalent of AMEB grade 5 (although not everything covered in AMEB was covered at my school).
Universities are usually pretty clear and straightforward about their audition process and standards. Look up your prefered Uni on the web, go to your guidence counsellor at school, or a music teacher at school, or your private piano teacher for specific help.
Another thing to take into consideration is what you want to do with your degree - because Uni's offer different courses for different outcomes. What do you have in mind?

Edited By Mins Music on 1084662651
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Postby 109-1082165152 » Sun May 16, 2004 2:55 am

The best thing you could do is contact the university you are applying to and ask them directly. They would be more willing to help you out. If applying to more schools, you might want to email all of them.

Or...

Best yet, check their websites and look for auditions requirements, most schools usually published these on their sites.

Good Luck!!!
109-1082165152

Return to Adult Students