Suggestions - Picking up after long hiatus

Discuss the piano literature and how to teach and learn it

Postby claudiogut » Wed May 24, 2006 7:30 pm

I took 3 years of formal piano around 15 yrs ago, followed by another 3 years of a more relaxed rhythm. During college I completely abandoned my playing, now I am starting to get back to it.

To my disdain, I've discovered that I've forgotten how to play many of the pieces I used to play: Bach's Italian Concerto and Toccatta & Fugue, Beetoven's Pathetique, several Mozart Sonatas, etc...

What is the best way for me to get back on track to not only relearning these but learning new pieces with relative ease?

To give you an idea of how hard it is for me lately to learn new things, it now takes me about 2-3 weeks to learn Chopin's easier waltzes (like L'Adieu).

I've been practicing scales, arpeggios, hannon exercises, and doing all the obligatory inventios. Months of doing these, however, have not shown improvement.

Please help.

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Wed May 24, 2006 7:40 pm

Dear Claudio:

Get a good teacher! You need someone to get you organized and involved in a regular routine that will gradually take you not only back to where you were, but ahead to much better skill levels. It's worth a try. It's just possible, you know, that some of your practice techniques could be wrong and producing diminishing returns. That situation easily snowballs into frustration and lots of tension in the playing mechanisms.

Stay with us, and let us know how you're doing.

Dr. Bill Leland.
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby LK123 » Fri May 26, 2006 7:40 pm

I agree with Dr. Leland. I started taking lessons again in Sept. after a 15 year break (!), and I have made more progress with my teacher than I ever could have on my own - even though I was doing all the "right" things (technique, Hanon, etc). Stick with it!!!!

Postby pianogal » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:20 pm

Yeah, me too! I had a 6-year-break, and I'm also doing so much better! The main thing is to have a teacher that always encourages you! Well, WE are ALWAYS here to encourage you!

I'm really glad for getting back on my piano! I'm sure you will too!
Don't ever give up piano, because you will like it someday

Return to Piano Repertoire