Sorabji

Discuss the piano literature and how to teach and learn it

Postby 69-1080625173 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:49 pm

While searching mindlessly on the net I recently discovered a composer called Sorabji who created a totally insane piano piece called Opus Clavicembalisticum. This apparently goes for 6 HOURS!!!!! Since I dont think i'll find a score or mp3 for it I was wondering if anyone here could tell me anything about it.
69-1080625173

Re: Sorabji

Postby worov » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:58 am

I'm not sure that you read my post. You started the subject five years ago.

John Ogdon has made a recording in the 1980's. I have the sheet music and can upload if you like. Very weird piece.
worov

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:08 am

Gosh, I've never heard of Sorabji! Is Opus Clavicembalisticum a solo piano work? Are you required to keep an EMT team ready for the pianist, when it is performed (if ever)? :D
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby worov » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:35 am

Well, Kaikhosru Shapurji Sorabji (what a name !) is an obscure 20th century composer. He's British. He has composed mainly for piano solo. Have a look here for more information :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaikhosru_Shapurji_Sorabji.

Geoffrey Douglas Madge has made five performances of the piece. You can find excerpts on Youtube.

Ogdon's recording is said to be superior. Here's an excerpt from Opus Claviscembalisticum played by John Ogdon :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2WGuRQ ... re=related

Jonathan Powell has performed the work several times in concert. I think he intend to make a studio recording in the future.

I have not listened to the piece in its entirety yet, but maybe some day I will. Of course I will have some pauses.

Dr. John Zeigler, I'm new on this forum. Am I allowed to post some score if someone requests it ?

Thank you for your answer.
worov

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:32 pm

I'm new on this forum. Am I allowed to post some score if someone requests it ?

Thank you for your answer.

Since Sorabji is a 20th Century composer, it's likely that his works are still covered by copyrights, so I suggest you not post any of them. If someone wants a score, they can contact you by PM and make private arrangements with you. Thanks for the information and welcome!
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Return to Piano Repertoire