Wedding repertoire - What to play at a wedding reception?

Discuss the piano literature and how to teach and learn it

Postby 90-1105979496 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:43 am

I've been recently asked to play at a wedding reception by my brother but I don't think that my pieces are entirely suitable for the occasion. I was wondering could anybody recommend nice, relaxing music at an advanced standard level.

So far I'm thinking:
The girl with the flaxen hair - Debussy
Arabesque No.1 - Debussy
Errinerung - Schumann
Traumerei - Schumann
Portrait - Marion Ingoldsby
Sonata Pathetique - Beethoven
Moonlight Sonata - Beethoven (Too somber?)
Some scarlatti sonatas
Mazurka (can't remember key) - Chopin
Some chopin nocturnes

This will only bring me to around 40 minutes and I was looking for about 2 hours of pieces! If anybody can recommend pieces or full books, I be deeply grateful.

Z
90-1105979496

Postby Beckywy » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:02 am

canon in d
the 1st prelude of JS Bach
Romance by Sibilius
how about the Prelude in E minor by Chopin?

Anything by Kenny G.
or David Foster

Some love songs
Always by the lewis'
Almost Paradise from the movie Footloose
Ebb Tide
The Greatest Love of All sung by Whitney Houston
Everything I do, I do it for you by Bryan Adams

Just get a book of pop love songs - There are advanced arrangements out there.
"The real purpose of studying music-to unite ourselves with our special gifts in such a way that one would add strength to the other" Seymour Bernstein
Beckywy

Postby pianoannie » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:04 pm

Does it all need to be classical? I would assume that a wedding reception would have less "serious" music than a wedding itself. It does depend on the overall formality of the reception of course.
If you want some non-classical ideas, I'd suggest some of the old standards of pop, like Unforgettable, As Time Goes By, etc. Lorie Line has a book of nice arrangements of these types of songs (Music from the Heart).
I've even used some of the same sheet music pieces, and pieces from books, that my intermediate students have learned with me. Some student pieces are quite beautiful. If you have to play for 2 hours, you don't want every piece to be challenging (please don't tell me you could just whip right through that list of pieces, with little prep time!) :;):
I do think the Moonlight Sonata is a bit somber for a wedding, but that's jmo.
Are you a piano teacher? Do you have a pretty large collection of music to pull from?
pianoannie

Postby 90-1105979496 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:39 am

Cheers for the suggestions,

I'm at university at the moment so I don't have huge access to music as I'm not a member of the music department. That's why I was looking for books more than just single songs.

Thanks for all your help,
Z
90-1105979496

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:53 pm

Dear Zygnoth:

Please forgive me for being a wet blanket--I really hate saying this--but you should be prepared for the fact that when you perform at a wedding reception most of what you play will go virtually unheard, because the room will be a total din of talking that will drown you out almost completely. I did some of these gigs until I just refused to do them anymore, and so have my wife, my daughter (a violist), and several colleagues where I was in attendance. The experience was always the same--practrically nobody heard a thing we were doing.

Of course it's important to do it anyway for your brother, and I would suggest you prepare a list of the music you use so that he can have it as a part of the wedding events. And pianoannie's right--why use serious classical stuff? Ask your brother and his bride what they like and try to plan the program accordingly. But I'm afraid you do need to know what conditions to expect. (I hope I don't sound like a cynical old grouch--I certainly don't mean it that way.)

Dr. Bill L.
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby pianoannie » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:23 pm

Yes, Dr. Bill, what you said (about people not really listening anyway) was what I was thinking about when I said I wouldn't want to play 2 hours of challenging music! It's just not worth the prep time Just some nice subdued background music that you can pretty much sightread.
(and I don't think you sound cynical at all---just cutting it straight!)
pianoannie

Postby 65-1074818729 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:45 pm

If you do a google search under "wedding songs", several useful sites are displayed on the first page. I have attached one just as an example.

Tried to hyperlink, but ran into problems. The site I had in mind is www.ourweddingsongs.com.

Good Luck

AFlat :D

Edited By AFlat on 1106189397
65-1074818729

Postby Tranquillo » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:52 am

Thought a popular one was pachelbel's canon...
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby Stretto » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:55 pm

Becibu wrote:Thought a popular one was pachelbel's canon...

Has anyone ever played Pachabel's Canon for a wedding and what part did you play or leave out?

I have played only for one wedding, my brother's, and they wanted Pachabel's Canon. I didn't realize until the rehearsal the night before that it was going to be way too long. So that night I frantickly went through trying to figure out how I was going to cut it down.

In general, I've wondered how do instrumentalists cut music down to a portion at weddings to fit into a certain space for different parts of the wedding? I listened to an old tape of my wedding and noticed the pianist/organist just playing along and when needing to stop for that part of the wedding holding down some notes, probably a cadence, letting that fade out rather than trying to condense the piece by leaving parts out.
Stretto

Postby Stretto » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:57 pm

I see the thread was on wedding receptions originally although my last post was regarding the wedding ceremony. I've not been to a wedding reception with live instrumentalists, anyone else?
Stretto

Postby Tranquillo » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:07 pm

Another that just came to my mind - Bach Air on Cantata 208 - Scafe Konnen or Flocks may gaze

A few popular showtunes like : All I ask of you, A whole new world could do the trick.

Chopin noctures, waltzes, mazurkas and sonatas are always nice ... just a few ideas.
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby jenscott90 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:13 pm

Don't forget your audience! You'll get a few ears hearing you if you make sure you find things they identify with!

Around here, we'd include:
Friends In Low Places (Garth Brooks) - fun one when the night goes on and on...

Islands in the Stream (Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers) for the old timers

Keeper of the Stars (this one was our song we danced to!)

My husband says to include There's a Tear in my Beer!!! lol!!!

I'm only half kidding!!!!
Jen
jenscott90

Postby Tranquillo » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:13 am

jenscott90 wrote:Don't forget your audience! You'll get a few ears hearing you if you make sure you find things they identify with!

Around here, we'd include:
Friends In Low Places (Garth Brooks) - fun one when the night goes on and on...

Islands in the Stream (Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers) for the old timers

Keeper of the Stars (this one was our song we danced to!)

My husband says to include There's a Tear in my Beer!!! lol!!!

I'm only half kidding!!!!
Jen

They're great songs, fun ones to keep the crowd going!
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Return to Piano Repertoire