Bach

Discuss the piano literature and how to teach and learn it

Postby pianogal » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:26 pm

I'm pretty strong at Bach songs, my teacher's wanting me to choose another Bach's. I listened to a some, didn't like any of them. Any suggestions for Bach? (hard ones) Thanks! :)
Don't ever give up piano, because you will like it someday
pianogal

Postby Tranquillo » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:11 am

Oh and by the way ... Bach pieces ... sorry I dont mean to be a nit picker I just cant help it. :;):

Bach pieces are quite hard ... in my opinoun... he is truly a master of music. It think the level of difficulty in Bach is due to the two melodies in the right and the two in the bass. The style is during the Baroque period when the piano is just being developed and at the time we only have the clavicord, harpsichord and organ. With these instruments there are no dynamics ... you cant go piano or forte ... hence the reason why the piano is called 'pianoforte'. (it can do both) Bach is very expressive even though he was somewhat limited to dynamics. You can get so carried away with playing Bach adding crescendos, decrecsendos, ritenutos but at the same time you must watch out to not get out of style.

>His famous toccata and fugue in D minor shows off Virtuoso very much.

>Piano Concerto no. 7 in G minor ... that piece sounds abosultly superb!

>Bach's inventions - they are no doubt inventive!

Those are some suggestions. Bach was a grandaddy to all the composers out there ... he had 20 children so 'Bach's' name was still carried out after he passed on. One real astounding pianist to playing Bach is Glenn Gould he plays Bach as it should be ... played as art as painting silence ...

Hope that helped.
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Return to Piano Repertoire