Piano grades

Discuss the piano literature and how to teach and learn it

Postby montana » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:46 pm

Is there a list somewhere that can tell me what grade a piece is or what grade a method is? Is book one of a method equal to grade one ect?
eddorci
montana

Postby 65-1074818729 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:23 am

If you are referring to the RCM system, you can take a look at the hyperlink I have included below. After you are into the web site, click onto the "Celebration Series". This will take you to "Repertoire Albums", "Studies/Etudes Albums" etc.

Each book will be numbered from one to either eight or ten, and these numbers correspond to the grades they are designed to teach. Click the "see details" button and you will see a list of the pieces included in each of the books.

Frederick Harris Music
65-1074818729

Postby montana » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:30 am

Thank you. This will give me a better idea of the difficulty. Does anyone know anything about the levels and exams that are part of the English system of training.
eddorci
montana

Postby 65-1074818729 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:43 pm

You are probably referring to the Royal Conservatory of Music. (RCM) I believe this system did originate in England and is still used extensively in many countries. I notice you are from Montana, therefore I have hyperlinked The Royal American Conservatory Examinations which appears to be based on the (RCM) system. You could try contacting them, and I am sure they would direct you to where you can obtain the information you want.

Royal American Conservatory Examinations

Good Luck

AFlat :)
65-1074818729

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:47 pm

AFlat wrote:I notice you are from Montana, therefore I have hyperlinked The Royal American Conservatory Examinations which appears to be based on the (RCM) system. You could try contacting them, and I am sure they would direct you to where you can obtain the information you want.

Royal American Conservatory Examinations

You might also want to know that our current Artist/Educator Interviewee, Scott McBride Smith, heads RACE. There is considerable discussion of the goals and procedures of RACE in his interview. :)
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby montana » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:24 am

Thank you. These replys are very valuable info to a self taught pianist living out in the sticks.
eddorci
montana

Postby Tranquillo » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:34 pm

If you are reffering to the English system I am guessing you are after Trinity College London?
I am only familiar with the AMEB system and that is in Australia ... Probably not much help but you're able to buy grade books.
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby Tarnia » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:34 pm

There is also a "popular selection list" link on the RCM (Royal Conservatory of Music Canada) site that equivocates some common popular songs with the RCM grade levels...e.g. I did the jazz piece Take Five in gr. 9.
Tarnia

Return to Piano Repertoire