Kabalevsky - Suggestions?  opinions?

Discuss the piano literature and how to teach and learn it

Postby Stretto » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:55 pm

Anyone familiar with Kabalevsky's works? Which one's? Any opinions on his music? Any recommendations of pieces to learn?

I've done one out of Kabalevsky's 24 Preludes, Op. 38 and really liked playing it. One of the books I have for my students to use with an assortment of composers has "Toccatina" by Kabalevsky and "Sonatina" also by him which I also like the sound of. Any other ideas?
Stretto

Postby mirjam » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:47 pm

24 little pieces op. 39 and 30 childrens pieces op.27 have lots of wonderful pieces, students love them. Also nice: theme and variations in D-major, I like that piece very much, it's found in the 4th album of piano repertoire (Bastien). The two sonatinas op.13 nr.1 and 2 are great, the first is played often, I think you can download it at www.sheetmusicarchive.net.
mirjam

Postby 108-1121887355 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:59 am

I am not a big fan of 'contemporary' but I introduce it to my students. I have the "24 Pieces, opus 39" and the students enjoy some of them "Clowns" is a special favorite. I have some of Kabalevsky in some other looks as well. I have some Streabbog and Bartok books and some others in general books.
Joan
108-1121887355

Postby 76-1144948098 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:57 pm

Ya, I loved clowns in gr. 3. It's still one fave that sticks out in my memory. I vividly remember the adjudicator telling me "I've never heard a student pronounce Kabalevsky's middle name before!" (Borisovich) lol, I loved it. Not too familiar with the rest of his works but if they're along the lines of 'Clowns', I love it. :D
76-1144948098

Postby Stretto » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:49 pm

Lina wrote:Ya, I loved clowns in gr. 3. It's still one fave that sticks out in my memory. I vividly remember the adjudicator telling me "I've never heard a student pronounce Kabalevsky's middle name before!" (Borisovich) lol, I loved it. Not too familiar with the rest of his works but if they're along the lines of 'Clowns', I love it. :D

Clowns must be pretty popular among students and it sounds like just the level of ability I'm always looking for something interesting for students.

Thanks for the replies! I'll keep the one's mentioned in mind. I kind of got side-tracked on another new book I'm trying out with a mix of Piano Lit. pieces called Masterwork Classics. But I like what I've heard and played of Kabalevsky so I'll probably come back to them. Actually the "mixture" book I got has one of his, "Etude in A Minor" Op. 27, No. 3.

Edited By Stretto on 1146167666
Stretto

Postby pianogal » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:08 pm

Stretto!
I'm sure the song that I learned is too easy for you, but it's fun to play--I can't really remember, I think it's one of the Sonatines.....

Nevermind. I'm not helping at all. :(
Don't ever give up piano, because you will like it someday
pianogal

Return to Piano Repertoire